Hunting and fishing

State College - Centre Daily TimesJune 3, 2012 

The Pennsylvania Game Commission designates hunting in wildlife management units.
Most of Centre County is in unit 4D, with the northern tip of the county in unit 2G.
Under a split season, only antlered deer can be harvested from Nov. 28 through Dec. 2 in 11 WMU’s, including 4D and 2G. From Dec. 3 through 10, both antlered and antlerless deer may be hunted.
The other 11 WMUs in Pennsylvania will continue to have a two-week antlered and antlerless deer season running Nov. 28 through Dec. 10.
Hunters with DMAP antlerless deer permits may use them on the lands for which they were issued during any established deer season.

Hunting licenses and training
In Pennsylvania, it is unlawful to hunt wildlife without the required license or licenses.
Hunters who apply for the yearly general hunting license must present a previous license from any state or prove they’ve attended hunter-trapper education courses.
The classes last two days or longer and include a minimum of 10 hours of training. The Central Pennsylvania Hunter Education Association offers courses in Centre County, which include instruction in how to handle shotguns, rifles and archery equipment.
They are open to hunters age 11 and older. Hunters in Pennsylvania must be at least 12 years old by June 30 to qualify for a junior license. But they must wait until their birthday to begin hunting.
A schedule of hunter-trapper education sessions can be viewed at the state Game Commission website. To view the schedule, go to and click on the link to “Game Commission.”

Hunting Licenses
Hunting information is online by going to and clicking on “Game Commission.”
Hunting licenses are valid from July 1 to the next June 30. They must be worn in the middle of the back with all numbers visible.
In addition to the general hunting license, licenses are needed to hunt bear, antlerless deer, elk and migratory game birds. They also are needed to pursue deer with a bow or muzzleloader.
Most licenses are sold through Game Commission offices, the state’s 67 county treasurer offices and more than 800 sporting goods stores.
Antlerless deer licenses are sold directly from the Game Commission and distributed through county treasurer offices.
Licenses can be purchased online at For information, call the Game Commission’s license division at 717-787-2084. To report game law violations contact the Northcentral Regional Office at 570-398-4744.

Following is a partial list of the prices:
Hunting license fees:
• Resident adult, $20.70
• Resident junior, $6.70
• Mentored youth, $2.70
• Resident senior, $13.70
• Resident senior lifetime, $51.70
• Resident senior lifetime combination $101.70
• Resident landowner, $4.70
• Nonresident adult, $101.70
• Nonresident junior, $41.70
• Resident archery, $16.70
• Nonresident archery, $26.70
• Resident muzzleloader, $11.70
• Nonresident muzzleloader, $21.70
• Resident migratory game bird, $3.70
• Nonresident migratory game bird, $6.70
• Resident bear, $16.70
• Nonresident bear, $36.70
General furtaker licenses
• Resident adult, $20.70
• Resident junior, $6.70
• Resident senior, $13.70
• Resident senior lifetime, $51.70
• Nonresident adult, $81.70
• Nonresident junior, $41.70
Fishing licenses
In Pennsylvania, anyone 16 and older must have a license to fish.
The annual licenses are available at 1,300 issuing agents across the state.
They can be found at sporting goods and department stores as well as at most county treasurer offices, all state Fish and Boat Commission offices and online at
Those who want to fish for trout, a favorite target of local fishermen, must also carry trout/salmon stamps.
The license and the stamp must be signed in ink and displayed on an outer garment. Annual fishing licenses and stamps are good through Dec. 31.
Following is a partial list of the prices.
Fishing License fees:
• Resident, $22.70
• Senior resident, $11.70
• Senior resident lifetime, $51.70
• One-day resident, $11.70
• Nonresident, $52.70
• Three-day tourist, $26.70
• Seven-day tourist, $34.70
• Trout/salmon permit, $9.70

May 28 and Sept. 3 are Fish for Free days for anyone who wants to try the sport without investing in a license.
Statewide, the busiest day of the fishing year is the opening of trout season in trout season opened April 14 and will run until midnight on Labor Day.
The Fish and Boat Commission can be contacted at 359-5100 or 717-705-7930 or online at

Fishing licenses are available at:
• Centre County Treasurer’s Office, 420 Holmes St., Bellefonte, 355-6810
• John’s Hunting and Fishing Shop, 135 S. Allegheny St., Bellefonte, 355-2265
• Northcentral Regional Office, 1150 Spring Creek Road, Bellefonte, 359-5250
• Nittany Valley Feed and Hardware, 1169 Nittany Valley Drive, Bellefonte, 383-2809
• Port’s Body Shop, 1846 Zion Road, Bellefonte, 355-4933
• Laubschers Grocery & Outdoor, 290 Walnut St., Howard, 625-0055
• Conklins Gun and Sport Shop, 106 Market St., Milesburg, 355-8030
• Valley Building Supply, Old 220 Road, Milesburg, 355-5451
• Hosterman and Stover, 101 W. Main St., Millheim, 349-8321
• Belding and Mull Inc., 1878 Port Matilda Highway, 342-1800
• Philipsburg True Value Hardware, 1687 Philipsburg Bigler Highway, 342-3040
• Mountaintop True Value, 104 S. Fourth St., Snow Shoe, 387-6823
• Dick’s Sporting Goods, 325 Colonnade Blvd., State College,
• TCO Fly Shop, State College, 230 East College Ave., State College,
• Walmart, 1665 N. Atherton St., State College, 237-8401; and 373 Benner Pike, State College, 235-9306

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service