BELLEFONTE — One of the men convicted in a string of robberies and burglaries has asked a judge to give him a new trial.
The attorney for Anatoliy Veretnov made oral arguments Monday and said his clients case should have been tried separately and not with two other co-defendants.
The judge did not immediately rule, and the prosecution opposed the motion.
Veretnov, Maksim Illarionov and Dmitri Litvinov were convicted on almost all charges during a weeklong trial in June following a crime spree from 2009 to 2010.
Veretnov and Illarionov were sentenced to decades in state prison, and Litvinov will be sentenced Friday.
Veretnovs attorney, Ron McGlaughlin, said the jury heard pieces of evidence that wouldnt have been admissible at trial if his client had been tried by himself. He said the evidence included cellphone records that werent his and cellphone conversations that didnt include him but were intercepted with the help of a police informant.
District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller told the judge that in a case like this, each person in a crime spree does not participate in each crime. But she said state law allows the co-defendants to be tried together.
Also Monday, the judge denied a request from Illarionovs attorneys for a new trial. Attorney Daniel Nelson argued that the judge, Thomas King Kistler, should have recused himself because officials became aware of jailhouse threats that were made against him.
Kistler also denied Nelsons request to reconsider Illarionovs 37-year-and-three-month sentence, which the attorney said was too excessive. Kistler disagreed it was excessive.
Mike Dawson can be reached at 231-4616. Follow him on Twitter @MikeDawsonCDT