Did you know March is Pasta Month? Celebrate pasta by trying this favorite Alfredo sauce. Add color to the dish by adding a vegetable, such as broccoli, and fruit, such as navel oranges.
¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 2/3 cup fat free chicken stock
1/3 cup plain, low fat yogurt
4 cups cooked, whole wheat pasta
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Remember to wash your hands before cooking and to clean your work surface.
1. Combine flour, garlic and pepper in a sauce pan.
2. Slowly stir in stock until smooth.
3. Cook over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly (a whisk works well) or until mixture simmers and thickens.
4. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
5. Toss with pasta and Parmesan cheese. Garnish with parsley.
Serving Size — about 1 cup; Serves — 6.
Per serving: 180 calories; 2.5 g fat; 5 mg cholesterol; 150 mg sodium; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g fiber; and 9 g protein.
Source: Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program 40th anniversary celebration — submitted by the University of Maine Cooperative Extension