Centre Volunteers in Medicine has been supported by runners since before it opened its doors.
When CVIM was just getting started, John Domico ran the Boston Marathon to raise money for the volunteer clinic. As CVIM celebrates its 10th year of service to the community, Domico is leading the Marathoners for Medicine fundraiser for the 11th time. To date, the effort has raised nearly $400,000 for the clinic. It has grown from an individual effort to a team, with 34 runners raising more than $50,000 in 2012.
Marathoners for Medicine will kick off its 2013 spring marathon season with a media day on March 14 at noon at the Ashenfelter Multi-Sport Facility on Penn State’s campus. The first runner will hit the streets when Mike Martin runs the Rock ‘n’ Roll National Marathon in Washington on March 16.
Runners planning to participate in the Boston Marathon, Pittsburgh half or full marathons, Pocono Marathon, or another early spring marathon are invited to join the Marathoners for Medicine team. The runners will be supported by honorary head coach and Penn State volleyball coach Russ Rose, honorary women’s coach Sue Paterno, and honorary men’s coach and track and field Olympian Greg Fredericks.
Cheryl White, CVIM executive director, said the runners’ efforts assist the clinic’s operations.
“We would not be able to provide free care to our uninsured friends and neighbors without the runners commitment, dedication and hard work,” she said.
White encouraged interested runners to come to the media day to learn more about Marathoners for Medicine, sign up on the CVIM website at http://cvim.net/marathoners2013.htm, or contact Domico at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A sure sign of spring in Happy Valley is a proliferation of races. Though the race calendar never truly goes into hibernation in January and February, March is the beginning of the season when hardly a weekend goes by without some kind of competitive running event.
• Laurel Run Switchbacker 10K. March 9, 10 a.m., Tussey Mountain Ski Area. Part of the Tussey Teaser series designed to introduce runners to the mountain roads of the Mountainback course. All races in the series, except the Beidelheimer Sidewinder 10K in May, are free. The series continues with approximately one race per month through June. The complete schedule is available on the Mountainback website at www.tusseymountainback.com.
• Irish Heritage 5K/10K. March 16, 9 a.m., Joshua House, 123 W. 10th St., Tyrone. Part of Tyrone’s Irish Heritage festivities. Website: www.joshuahousetyrone.org.
• Kinesiology 5K Challenge, March 17, 10 a.m., Penn State campus near the Bryce Jordan Center. Starting location to be determined due to construction. Website: http://pennstatekines.wix.com/club.
• Rodney Myers Memorial Run Around Egg Hill 10 Miler and Relay. March 24, 2:30 p.m., Old Gregg School, Spring Mills. Runners may register to run the full course as a solo race or may run as a three-person medley relay team. Two-person teams may also compete in the three-person category, with any order acceptable, as long as each runner does at least one leg. Leg lengths are 3, 5, and 2 miles. Website: http://keleitzel.com/egghill/.
• April Fools 5K. March 30, 10 a.m., Medlar Field. Hosted by the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association, the proceeds of this event go to a scholarship fund for Penn State students from Centre County high schools. The race course is on the Penn State Campus and is mostly flat. Online registration and more information at www.active.com/5k-race/university-park-pa/april-fools-5k-2013.
• Bunny Blitz 5K trail run. Mar. 30, 9:30 a.m., Harpster Ballfield, Pennsylvania Furnace. Website: www.bunnyblitz.com.
• Family Life’s 5K. April 6, 9 a.m., 108 Ridge Rd. (corner of Route 192 and Ridge Rd.), Centre Hall. Website: www.flpv.org.
• FaithCentre 5K and “King/Queen of the Hills” 10K. April 6, 10 a.m., Bellefonte Middle School. Website: www.faithcentre.info.
• Jeremy Herbstritt Memorial 5K. April 15, 6:30 p.m., Curtin Rd. near the Intramural Building at Penn State. Website: http://nvrun.com.
• Beaver Stadium 5K. April 21, 11 a.m., Curtin Rd. in front of the Bryce Jordan Center. Presented by Special Olympics Pennsylvania and benefiting special athletes competing in Summer Games at Penn State. The race finishes at the 50-yard line inside Beaver Stadium. Website: http://www.specialolympicspa.org/specialevents/beaver-stadium-runwalk.
• Greenwood Furnace Trail Challenge half marathon. May 5, 7 a.m., Greenwood Furnace State Park. Website: www.greenwoodfurnacetrailchallenge.com.
• Linden Loop 5-miler. May 5, 2 p.m., Linden Hall Rd. Event also includes a 28-mile supported bike ride at 12:30 p.m., 5-mile family/recreational bike ride at 1 p.m., 5-mile walk at 1:30 p.m., and free tours of the Rock Hill School from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Website and online registration: http://rockhillschoolatlindenhall.blogspot.com/.
Tara Murray writes a monthly running column for the CDT. She can be reached at email@example.com.