5 families displaced after Philipsburg apartment building fire

For the CDTSeptember 6, 2013 

— A Philipsburg apartment building caught fire Friday, leaving five families without homes.

It was an electrical fire that started in the bathroom of Apt. 8 of 128 N. Front St., said Hope Fire Co. Chief Jeff “Skinner” Harris.

Harris said quick response from the first teams on the scene kept the blaze contained to that apartment and the roof of the structure.

The apartment was the home of Ken Gill Sr., Erica Evans, and children Ken Gill Jr., 13, Matthew Gill, 12, Courtney Gill, 8, and Parker Gill, 5. The family was relocated to the Harbor Inn by the American Red Cross along with two other families in the building. Two other apartments were also evacuated and the tenants are sheltering with family and friends.

The building is owned by Brian Hoopsick and was insured. None of the tenants, however, had renters insurance.

Hope and Reliance companies of Philipsburg were assisted by Mountain Top Fire Co. of Sandy Ridge, Alpha Fire Co. of State College, Bellefonte Fire Co., Morris Township Fire Co., Clearfield Fire Co., Chester Hill Hose Co., Columbia Fire Co. of Osceola Mills and Rescue Hose and Ladder of Curwensville. Moshannon Valley Emergency Medical Service was also on scene. No injuries were reported.

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service