Hope Fire Co. Chief: Bathroom light caused Philipsburg building fire

From CDT staff reportsSeptember 9, 2013 

— The fire that damaged a downtown Philipsburg building Friday was electrical in nature, the fire chief said Monday.

Hope Fire Co. Chief Jeff “Skinner” Harris said the fire started from a light in a bathroom in apartment No. 8, on the third-floor of the building at 128 N. Front St.

Five families were displaced, and the local chapter of the American Red Cross aided four of the families with food, clothing and temporary shelter. Romayne Naylor, the emergency services manager for the local chapter, said the fifth family may be staying with friends or family.

The fire started late Friday afternoon, and crews arrived to see heavy smoke from the third floor, Harris said. Crews were on the scene for about 31/2 hours Friday.

The apartment where the fire started was destroyed, though the whole building should be salvageable, Harris said.

The third floor suffered smoke and water damage, and the first and second floors sustained smoke damage.

“They did a good job and prevented another block fire,” said Harris, referring to the devastating fire a block away on Front Street in August 2005.

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service