STATE COLLEGE — Alpha Fire Company received several reports Saturday of gas odors at homes and businesses, prompting some locations to evacuate as a precaution.
Alpha President Charles Robinson said throughout the day Saturday, calls came in reporting a gassy odor.
Robinson said fire personnel along with officials from Columbia Gas checked into the problem and have cleared the area of any major gas issues.
Places reporting the gas smell included Comcast on Decibel Road, Petco in Patton Township, fraternity houses near Penn State and other facilities and homes in the Centre Region.
Robinson said Columbia Gas put a solution in the gas that gave it a strong odor, and company officials said they may have put too much in, but nothing to cause a major gas leak or other problem.
Robinson added that fire officials have responded to various locations throughout the Centre Region, making sure there were no problems.
Columbia Gas officials were not available for comment Saturday afternoon.
Britney Milazzo can be reached at 231-4648. Follow her on Twitter @M11azzo.