State College police see busiest weekend of Penn State football season

mmorgan@centredaily.comOctober 13, 2013 

— Penn State’s sold-out homecoming football game against Michigan set a season high for attendance, but also marked the busiest weekend for State College police.

Police didn’t have specific numbers Sunday, but said they were very busy throughout the entire weekend.

One Penn State Harrisburg student was charged in connection with multiple assaults and robberies early Sunday morning.

Claudius Taylor, 19, was stopped after police said he assaulted two women, one on East Fairmount Avenue and the other on the 500 block of East Foster Avenue. The incident occurred at about 3 a.m., police said.

Numerous police officers searched the area and Taylor was eventually caught in Osage Alley near East Prospect Avenue after a chase that lasted about six blocks.

Both women identified him as the man that assaulted them.

Taylor was sent to Centre County Correctional Facility in lieu of $100,000 bail. He was charged with two felonies and seven misdemeanors.

Police also expect to bring felony assault charges against another man in an incident late Saturday night.

Police said the man, whose name is being withheld until charges are filed later this week, was urinating in public when an officer caught him, and the man tried to run.

The officer grabbed the man’s backpack, but he continued to try to get away and caused both he and the officer to fall to the ground, police said. He then continued to try to escape, dragging the officer into the street on the 100 block of South Atherton Street, before breaking away, police said.

Police were able to get a positive identification on the man from his backpack and will charge him with assault of a police officer, resisting arrest, recklessly endangering and other related charges.

Another man is expected to be charged with a felony after entering a house early Sunday morning and falling asleep in one of the residents’ beds, police said.

The resident at 508 S. Pugh St. reported that he did not know the man, who was unconscious from an apparent alcohol overdose at 1:38 a.m. Police said he was taken to Mount Nittany Medical Center by ambulance for treatment.

Police also responded to an incident in which a man was punched in the face by another man early Sunday morning.

The man sustained a laceration above his right eye and said he did not know who punched him, police said, adding that he refused to cooperate and refused medical treatment. The incident occurred at 3:03 a.m.

Police said they would likely have more information on the weekend activity, including numbers, by Monday.

Matt Morgan can be reached at 235-3928. Follow him on Twitter @MetroMattMorgan.

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service