MARION TOWNSHIP — A permanent cabin at Gram and Pap’s Fort Bellefonte Campground was a total loss to fire Wednesday night.
Just after 10 p.m., the Howard Fire Company was dispatched to the campground, 2023 Jacksonville Road, to fight the blaze.
Lighted, inflatable Halloween decorations lined the driveway into the campground, and nearly a dozen firetrucks lit the rest of the gravel drive to the cabin.
An adjacent Mirada motorhome with a Penn State license plate on the front took some heat damage, but no other damage was reported.
Howard Fire Chief Collin Alterio said a woman and her two dogs escaped the structure without injury.
Alterio didn’t have any information on where the fire might have started, or the cause, late Wednesday.
Nearly half the fire trucks were water tankers.
“There’s no water source here,” Alterio said. “They filled up at a hydrant on Forest Avenue.”
Firefighters surrounded the still smoldering structure, pulling off siding. Windows were gone, stair railings were blackened and part of a green picket fence was knocked down.
A Bellefonte Undine ladder truck had sent its bucket between trees in front of the cabin.
The Bellefonte Logans, Walter Township, Pleasant Gap, Beech Creek/Blanchard and Milesburg fire crews also responded.
Jessica VanderKolk can be reached at 235-3910. Follow her on Twitter @jVanReporter.