the unknown soldiers

Unknown Soldiers | Sounds of War

January 3, 2014 

U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer Nick Johnson spends time with his wife, Julie, and son Nathan before deploying to Afghanistan in January 2012. He was killed in a helicopter crash April 19, 2012.

JULIE JOHNSON — Photo provided

  • More information


    Wintertime furloughs, a court-martial and recruitment drives

    Many soldiers 150 years ago in the Civil War returned to homes on winter furloughs, finding rest after battles and months away from loved ones.

    In January 1864, authorities on both sides were seeking to recruit new fighters as the conflict dragged on inexorably.

    The Springfield Republican in Massachusetts reported on Jan. 1, 1864, of much going on despite a lull in the fighting.

    Quoting dispatches from The Associated Press, in part, the paper reported that Union Gen. William Sherman’s forces had returned from Knoxville, Tenn., to a base in Chattanooga, tired, dirtied and clothes shredded after recent fighting.

    “While Gen. Sherman’s men were returning ... they encountered a furious storm, and when they reached Chattanooga many of them were barefooted, and not a few of them wore pantaloons, the legs of which had been torn into shreds to the knees.”

    A dispatch from Philadelphia reported the court-martial of a Union private found guilty of desertion. He was sentenced to be shot and, according to the report, the sentence would be carried out in February 1864.

    Elsewhere, divers scrubbed grit and grime off the bottoms of warships off the South Carolina coast. Reports said divers with special helmets worked “five or six hours at a time under water,” gasping for air as they surfaced.

Everything sounded different to Julie Johnson on a gray Chicago morning in April 2012. A dripping sink sounded like a waterfall, and a passing subway sounded like a freight train.

“Even though it was quiet, things around me were very loud,” Johnson, 30, told The Unknown Soldiers.

The next sound was from her phone. A text message from her father-in-law was waiting.

“Have you heard from Nick?” the message said.

“Yes, I talked to him yesterday,” Johnson responded.

Johnson’s husband, Army Chief Warrant Officer Nick Johnson, had been in Afghanistan since January. In the middle of his first combat deployment, the helicopter pilot was flying medical missions in some of the war zone’s most dangerous areas.

Although she initially wondered about her father-in-law’s text, Johnson was confident that nothing was wrong. After all, she could still hear the sound of her husband’s voice during the previous day’s phone call.

“He told me he was safe, he told me not to worry, and I told him I’d worry anyway,” Johnson recounted. “He said, ‘I love you and I’ll talk to you when I can.’ ”

Julie Johnson had known Nick since their sixth-grade class in Ontario, Calif., when she first admired her future husband’s sense of humor.

“He would make you laugh until your stomach hurt,” she said.

As their relationship blossomed through the years, Julie watched Nick become an exemplary husband, soldier and father. On that spring 2012 morning, the next sound Julie heard was the roar of the faucet as she put their 2-year-old son, Nathan, in the bathtub.

“We’re OK,” Julie frequently told herself while Nick was in Afghanistan. “Things will be OK.”

As she watched her son enjoy his bath, Julie heard her cell phone ring. This time, it was her dad. They talked for a few minutes while she continued tending to Nathan.

That’s when Julie heard the loudest sound of all. Someone was knocking on the front door of the house, which belonged to her sister. Julie and Nathan, who lived on a Hawaii military base, were visiting Chicago for part of Nick’s yearlong deployment.

“I didn’t feel good about it,” Julie said of the knock. “It was strange to me.”

With Nathan still in the bathtub, Julie decided to ignore whoever was at the door. Then came more knocking, which along with the barks of her sister’s dogs, prompted Julie to crack the front door open and peek outside.

“It was two men standing in their dress uniforms,” Julie said. “At that point, I just immediately knew ... things weren’t OK.”

After the soldiers asked to speak to “Mrs. Julie Johnson,” the military wife initially couldn’t bear to hear anything else.

“I offered them something to drink, then got my son out of the bathtub,” Julie said. “I think I was just trying to put off hearing those words, even though I knew what they were going to tell me.”

Chief Warrant Officer Nick Johnson, 27, was killed in an April 19, 2012, helicopter crash along with three fellow soldiers. Nick and Julie’s fathers had seen news reports about a chopper accident in southern Afghanistan, which was why they had checked in that morning.

The next few weeks were filled with unforgettable sounds, including a 21-gun salute at her husband’s funeral, and Nick’s voice continued to resonate. During one conversation before Nick deployed, the soldier and his wife discussed what to do if he didn’t make it home.

“He said that he would want me to move forward in a way that would love and support Nathan,” Julie recalled.

Today, when Julie sees and hears her now 4-year-old son, she is reminded of his dad.

“It’s almost as if Nick’s still here with us, and Nathan’s still learning lessons from him,” she said. “Daily, we talk about Nick and who he was.”

Chief Warrant Officer Nick Johnson loved his family, his country and flying helicopters. He was also one of almost 7,000 Americans killed in Afghanistan or Iraq since 9/11.

Julie Johnson and other grieving military relatives are now the voices of our nation’s fallen heroes. As they courageously share the stories of their loved ones, it is our duty to listen.

Tom Sileo is a syndicated columnist. His Unknown Soldiers columns are distributed by Creators Syndicate and appear in the Centre Daily Times on Fridays. Readers may follow his posts on Facebook and his blog at www.unknown

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service