‘They got it in time’: Bellefonte house fire contained to upper floors, damage ‘not heavy,’ Undine chief says

mcarroll@centredaily.comJanuary 27, 2014 

— Authorities believe an electrical malfunction sparked a blaze that damaged a home Monday off Upper Coleville Road.

No one was injured, but the home, at 113 Lee St., sustained fire damage to its upper floor and attic, said Bellefonte Fire Chief Tim Schreffler.

A resident discovered flames in the attic Monday afternoon and was able to get several pets out of the home before firefighters arrived.

“He smelled something and went up and looked in the attic, and there was a glow,” Schreffler said. “He opened up a hatch and saw a glow.”

Schreffler said an initial investigation revealed the fire started in the upper portion of the building. He said the cause appears to be electrical.

Schreffler said crews were able to contain the flames and damage was “not heavy.”

Vents on the sides of the attic helped minimize smoke in the house, Schreffler said.

“We were very fortunate to get to the scene of the fire as soon as we did,” he said. “The fire really started going across the attic space. They got it in time.”

The home is owned by Jack Lambert, of Bellefonte, who rented the property.

It was not immediately clear whether the tenant could move back into the home, but Schreffler said the man was offered assistance from the American Red Cross.

Matt Carroll can be reached at 231-4631. Follow him on Twitter @Carrollreporter.

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service