Unknown Soldiers | A young soldier leaves behind two families

February 7, 2014 

Army Sgt. David Chambers poses for a picture with his parents, Julie and Mike Chambers, during a family weekend at Fort Benning, Ga. Chambers, 25, was killed in Afghanistan on Jan. 16, 2013.

CHAMBERS FAMILY — Photo provided

When U.S. Army Sgt. David Chambers left for his first Afghanistan deployment, he told his mother how he felt about his fellow soldiers.

“I leave one family to go to the other,” Chambers said.

During his combat tour, which lasted from June 2010 to May 2011, Chambers and his Stryker Brigade teammates were struck by an enemy improvised explosive device.

“They were in a transport vehicle when they hit (the IED), so it got blown over,” Chambers’ mom, Julie Chambers, told The Unknown Soldiers. “(Dave) had injuries to his ear and shoulder, but nobody was severely hurt.”

The incident was a harrowing reminder of Julie and her husband Mike’s initial fears about their youngest son’s 2009 decision to enlist.

“We didn’t want him to join the Army,” Julie, who noted that Dave had chosen a dangerous infantry assignment, said. “But we knew there was nothing we could do. ... Dave wanted to be in the Army. We just had to love and support him.”

As a young boy growing up in Hampton, Va. — where his family still lives — Dave and his older brother, Steve, always seemed to be playing baseball and exploring the neighborhood.

“He liked to be active, even at that age,” Dave’s mom said. “He liked to work out and run.”

The only quality Dave lacked as a youngster, according to his mother, was consistent focus. That changed once he chose to serve his country.

“The Army was made for Dave, and I would never have thought it before I saw him (after boot camp),” Julie explained. “He just loved it.”

Even after a difficult year in Afghanistan, Dave showed no trepidation when he found out that his Fort Lewis, Wash., unit would deploy a second time.

“He enjoyed his first tour, which scared me to death since his ear was already torn up,” his mother said. “I was scared about what Dave was doing.”

Almost immediately upon Chambers’ November 2012 arrival in Afghanistan, the team leader noticed stark differences between his respective deployments.

“It was stressful there. There was a lot of fighting every day,” Julie Chambers said. “He said ‘it’s just constant, not like the first time.’ ”

Chamber was appalled by the enemy’s brutal treatment of civilians.

“The Taliban doesn’t care about these people,” said Julie, paraphrasing her son’s words. “They’ll kill them.”

On Jan. 15, 2013, Dave sent a Facebook message to his mother before heading out on a mission.

“I’m OK, mom,” he wrote. “Don’t worry.”

The next day, there was a knock on her front door and Julie Chambers received the news she had been dreading since her son had joined the Army.

Sgt. David Chambers, 25, had been killed while serving in Afghanistan’s volatile Kandahar province.

The details of the tragedy were excruciating, but also crystallized the dedication of the fallen hero and his unit. While leading a combat patrol, Chambers stepped on an IED that resulted in devastating injuries to his arms and legs. The soldier walking behind him, who also had been hit, rushed to care for his team leader before worrying about his own injuries.

For two hours, Chambers’ teammates did everything they could to keep their wounded brother alive. After a courageous struggle, he succumbed to his massive wounds.

“I know that was hard on them,” his mother said of her son’s fellow warriors.

“But they all said they would have given their lives for Dave.”

Speaking the day after the one-year anniversary of Chambers’ death, Julie Chambers recalled her son’s funeral procession.

Braving a snowstorm, hundreds of supporters came together to warm a grieving family’s heart.

“Sidewalks were just lined with people,” the fallen hero’s mom said. “It just made me understand that people appreciated his sacrifices.”

The day before we spoke, Julie received a call from the soldier who survived the Jan. 16, 2013, IED attack that took her son’s life.

“He’s just missing Dave,” Julie said. “He said (Dave) was the best team leader he ever had.”

Although the void left by the passing of Sgt. David Chambers will never be filled, his loved ones will always be grateful to the fallen hero’s second family.

“The Army was so good to us,” Julie Chambers said.

Tom Sileo is a syndicated columnist. His Unknown Soldiers columns are distributed by Creators Syndicate and appear in the Centre Daily Times on Fridays. Readers may follow his posts on Facebook and his blog at www.unknownsoldiersblog.com.

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service