Minor electrical fire spurs evacuation at North Atherton Quality Inn

bmilazzo@centredaily.comMay 28, 2014 

— About 50 guests were evacuated from the Quality Inn late Tuesday night after an electrical fire.

Alpha Fire Company Capt. Drew Prestia said the department was dispatched to 1274 N. Atherton St. for a report of smoke around 10:10 p.m.

Firefighters contained the smoke before any flames developed, Prestia said.

Aaron Heuser was just coming in for his overnight shift when he was alerted about the incident.

He said that a fellow co-worker was alerted by a guest to the smell of smoke coming from a vacant room on the second floor of the building. That employee then called authorities.

About 20 fire officials were on scene by 11 p.m.

Heuser said the evacuation went smoothly, but some guests were anxious to get back in their rooms.

“It don’t look like no one was hurt, thank God, but it’s kind of late,” said Alex Figueroa, a guest from New Jersey. “We just heard the alarm and went outside. They said it was an electrical problem.”

Prestia said no one was injured. The amount of damage is unknown.

Britney Milazzo can be reached at 231-4648. Follow her on Twitter @M11azzo.

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service