Drivers’ Licenses

June 15, 2014 

All new residents must obtain a Pennsylvania driver’s license within 60 days of establishing residency here. For additional information visit


You must apply in person at the Driver’s Exam Center, 820 W. College Ave., Pleasant Gap, complete the necessary forms and take a vision screening test.

You may schedule your driving test online at

If you are 18 or older and a U.S. citizen you will need to show a Social Security card and one of the following: a birth certificate, certificate of U.S. citizenship or of naturalization, or valid U.S. passport. Different forms of identification are required of non-U.S. citizens. You also must have two documents providing proof of residency (current utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage documents, tax records, W-2 form, current weapons permit). Payment must be made by check or money order.

Identification requirements for non-U.S. citizens are different. Visit for details.

If you are a new resident to the state, you must also present a valid driver’s license or photo ID from your previous state. If your out-of-state driver’s license expired more than six months ago, you will be required to apply for a Pennsylvania learner’s permit and complete all testing — including a physical examination, a road test and a parking test — before receiving a Pennsylvania driver’s license. To study for the test, pick up a copy of the Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual at the Driver’s Exam Center or for more information and hours call 800-932-4600.


A learner’s permit is issued to anyone 16 or older who has not had a license.

The following steps need to be completed before receiving a license:

•  Pick up a Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual at the Driver’s Exam Center or at

•  Schedule a physical. Have a physician, physician’s assistant, certified registered nurse practitioner or chiropractor complete a Medical Qualification Certificate.

•  Take the certificate; a parent or guardian consent form (younger than 18 only); proof of identity; two acceptable proofs of residency (18 or older only); your Social Security card; and a check or money order payable to PennDOT.

•  An eye screening test and a written exam will be given. Once they are passed, a learner’s permit is issued. Drivers younger than 18 then must wait six months and document 65 or more hours practicing with a licensed driver. That must include 10 hours at night and five hours in poor weather conditions.

•  Schedule a driving test online or by calling 800-423-5542.


When visiting the Driver’s Exam Center, you’ll be asked if you want to apply to register to vote. You will be given a receipt as proof of your application. The county voter registration office will send you a voter identification card.


Bring a valid title for the vehicle you want to register in Pennsylvania, issued in your name, from the state you left; proof of Pennsylvania insurance, such as a valid insurance identification card; form MV-1 (not available online; this form must be completed by an agent of PennDOT, and you will need to contact a notary or dealer for assistance with completing the form); a form of identification; and a tracing of the vehicle identification number or the verification of the VIN by an inspection mechanic or notary at a dealership or agent. You also will need to provide identification such as a driver’s license or photo ID card, U.S. passport or Armed Forces Common Access Card.

A registration fee for passenger vehicles will be charged and can be paid at the Driver’s Exam Center in Pleasant Gap or at one of the centers listed under “licensing services” in the yellow pages.

Vehicle inspection rules:

•  Vehicles must have valid safety inspection stickers before they can be driven with a state license plate. Inspections are performed at official inspection stations (usually a repair garage or a service station with a repair shop) and are good for one year from the date of inspection.

•  Equipment checks are made of the vehicle’s lights, brakes, horn, tires, safety belts, exhaust system, mirrors, suspension, turn signals, steering, wipers and other major parts.

•  An emissions inspection program covers all gasoline-powered vehicles, model year 1975 or newer, vans and light-duty trucks weighing 9,000 pounds or less. You must get your vehicle’s emissions inspection before you can complete the safety inspection.

•  Inspection fees are posted at the stations.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles

Centre Daily Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service