Conklin: 'Worst fears have been confirmed'; focus must be on protecting our children
HARRISBURG, June 23 – State Rep. Scott Conklin, D-Centre, released the following statement today upon the release of Attorney General Kathleen Kane's report investigating the prosecutors handling of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case:
"Our worst fears have been confirmed. They know of at least two victims that came forward after March of 2009. If Sandusky had been arrested immediately, at least two children could have been spared.
"While some answers were presented in the report, it lacks an explanation for various delays – delays that had serious repercussions during the investigation. There are holes and questions that remain unanswered.
"Today we took a look back to see if the legal system is working to make sure Pennsylvania children were, and still are, being protected under the fullest extent of the law.
"Much of the focus of today's report is on the timing of then-Attorney General Tom Corbett's investigation and why it took years to make an arrest. From the onset, I said Kathleen Kane was the right person for the job to look into the investigation in a nonbiased way because she would work strictly with the facts. I trust that the tough questions were asked and a thorough investigation led to today's report.
"It is my hope that where there are loose ends in the attorney general's report, Gov. Corbett will step up and fill those gaps," Conklin said.