Family Fun Nights
Events include games, prizes and theme music. The “after 5 p.m.” admission rates apply or free with a Season Pass. Pool will stay open until 9 p.m. on event nights.
• July 9: Park Forest Pool — Winter Wonderland Night
• July 16: Tudek Park movie night — Bike-in movie: “The Croods” will be shown at 8:45 p.m. on an inflatable screen.
• July 23: Welch Pool — Hawaiian night
• Aug. 6: Park Forest Pool — Pool-O-Ween
• Aug. 20: Dive-in movie night: Movie TBA.
Decorate your bike, scooter, wagon, stroller or skateboard for the parade at Holmes-Foster Park, Pavilion No. 2 on July 3 from 7-7:30 p.m. Streamers and tape supplied.
Get your bike, wagon, scooter, stroller or skateboard and meet at the corner of East Foster Avenue and Locust Lane on July 4 at 9:30 a.m. Parade begins at 10 a.m. and ends at Sidney Friedman Park, where the group will sing “Happy Birthday” to the United States and eat watermelon.
“Nature at Night” Campfire Program
Visit Millbrook Marsh at night and discover what is out and about in the dark on July 19 from 7-10 p.m. Participate in games, challenges, stories and a nighttime marsh hike to listen for night sounds and watch for night creatures. Enjoy a campfire and entertaining skits and songs with the Millbrook Marsh staff! Fee: $20 donation per family. For all ages at Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
Splash, Pedal and Dash
Those ages 6-13 are invited to participate in the 10th annual CRPR Splash, Pedal and Dash youth triathlon at Welch Pool on July 26. Advance registration fee is $10; day of race fee is $20, space-permitting. Check-in at Welch Pool opens 30 minutes before each race. T-shirts will be provided for those who register by July 11.
• Ages 12-13: 8 a.m. — 200-meter swim — 4-mile bike ride — mile run
• Age 11: 8:45 a.m. — 100-meter swim — 2-mile bike ride — 1/2-mile run
• Age 10: 9:15 a.m. — 100-meter swim — 2-mile bike ride — 1/2-mile run
• Age 9: 9:45 a.m. — 100-meter swim — 2-mile bike ride — 1/2-mile run
• Age 8: 10:15 a.m. — 50-meter swim — 1-mile bike ride — 1/4-mile run
• Age 7: 10:30 a.m. — 50-meter swim — 1-mile bike ride — 1/4-mile run
• Age 6: 10:45 a.m. — 50-meter swim — 1-mile bike ride — 1/4-mile run
Alphabet Marsh Family Scavenger Hunt
Explore Millbrook Marsh Nature Center with your family during the Alphabet Marsh Scavenger Hunt on July 27 from 1-3 p.m. This eco-friendly discovery guides you through the marsh to see, touch, smell and hear items found naturally in this eco-system. Take your time, enjoy the day, work together as a team and have fun with this activity. No registration required. No fee, but donations are appreciated.
Day Camp Carnival
Go to the 48th Annual Day Camp Carnival on July 31 from 6-8 p.m. at Park Forest Middle School gym. Each year, campers in the Centre Region Parks and Recreation KIDVenture Camp programs help design and run the booths at this carnival. At each booth, participants can play carnival games or pitches, and win prizes. Admission is free, but wooden nickels can be purchased to play the booth games. In 2013, this event transitioned to a peanut-free zone.
Shakespeare in the park
Centre Region Parks and Recreation and the Nittany Valley Shakespeare Company present free performances of Shakespeare’s “King Lear” at 2 p.m. on Aug. 23 and 24 at Sidney Friedman Park.
Centre Region Parks and Recreation will again hold its Aqua-Dog Day event at Park Forest Community Swimming Pool, 2100 School Drive, Patton Township, on Sept. 7 from 1-4 p.m. Admission is $5 per dog, and only dogs will be allowed in the pool. People admitted free. Proceeds from the event will fund tree plantings at Oak Hall Regional Park, now under construction. The 2013 event raised $310.
• People must sign a release waiver and show proof of rabies vaccination and proof of a 2014 license for their dog. Because a chip reader is not guaranteed to be available, paper is preferred.
• One dog per owner; owners must be 18 or older and are responsible for their dog’s behavior.
• Dogs must remain on leash when not using the pools. Lifeguards will be on duty.
• Pet waste bags will be available; pet owners must clean up after their dogs.