Yuengling boats the title of America’s oldest brewery, and offers tours to visitors at its site at 501 Mahantongo St., Pottsville.
Jenn Kruss, gift shop manager at the Yuengling factory, said a group of tour guides she called “brewery experts” give two, hour-and-a-half long tours daily of the brew house, bottle shop, old racking room and the caves where the beer was once stored, she said.
The end of the tours include a complimentary beer tasting, but she urges tourists to make sure they have closed-toed shoes, or they can’t be a part of the tour, Kruss said.
The tours are held twice daily during the week at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. From April to December, Saturday tours run from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. as a basic walk through, although Kruss said there is no beer production on Saturdays.
Never miss a local story.
“It’s a completely unique and interesting place to see,” Kruss said.
She added that the brewery sees about 55,000 visitors annually.
The tours are held in a building that was erected 183 years ago, Kruss said. The original brewery was built in 1829 before it burned down two years later.
To this day, it’s still operated by the Yuengling family, and during weekday tours, Kruss said owner Dick Yuengling can be found in the facility.
For more information, visit www.yuengling.com.
Things to do:
• Jerry’s Classic Cars and Collectibles Museum, 394 S. Centre St., Pottsville. More than 20,000 collectibles housed in old Studebaker dealership open noon to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.www.jerrysmuseum.com
• Mud & Maker: 6 S. Centre St., Pottsville. Retail and gallery art space.
• Pine Creek Alpacas: 2535 Panther Valley Road, Pottsville. Alpaca farm.
Rosemount Camping Resort: 285 Valley Road, Tamaqua, located in Lewistown Valley between Pottsville and Tamaqua. Includes swimming, hiking, fishing and more. www.rosemountcampingresort.com
• Anthracite Philharmonic: 1440 Mahantongo St., Pottville.www.antphil.org
While you’re in town:
• Every first and third Thursday of the month until Labor Day:Tamaqua Summer Concert Series
: 6 - 8 p.m. on the platform at the Railroad Station in Tamaqua. www.tamaqua.com
Second annual Lavender Festival:Hope Hill Lavender Farm
, 2375 Panther Valley Road, Pottsville. www.hopehilllavenderfarm.com
•July 28-Aug. 2:
Schuylkill County Fair: Schuylkill County Fairgrounds, Summit Station.www.schuylkillfair.com
Faerie FanFaire!: Stonehedge Gardens, 51 Dairy Road, Tamaqua.www.stonehedgegardens.org
Harvest Festival: Benigna's Creek Winery & Vineyard, 1585 Ridge Road, Klingerstown.www.bcwinery.com