Ice skating is a holiday tradition, and local skaters can find indoor ice at the Penn State Ice Pavilion — at least for the rest of this school year.
Beginning in 2013-14, all activities will shift to the Pegula Ice Arena, now under construction. At that time, the ice pavilion will be “decommissioned,” according to rink manager Chris Whittemore.
Despite a busy ice schedule with Penn State now playing both women’s and men’s Division I hockey, the pavilion offers public skating times and skate rentals.
“We’re still doing here what we’ll be doing in the new building,” Whittemore said. “We want people to come in and enjoy our public skating sessions and our group lessons.”
Here’s the ice pavilion public skating schedule for the rest of 2012:
• 8-10 p.m. Dec. 21-22
• 1-3 p.m. Dec. 22-23
• 1-4 p.m. Dec. 24
• 1-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Dec. 26
• 1-3 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Dec. 27-30
• 2-4 p.m. Dec. 31
For more information, visit www.athletics.psu.edu/rec/icerink or call 865-4102.
Skiing, tubing and snowboarding
For those interested in sledding or snow tubing, Tussey Mountain, 301 Bear Meadow Road in Boalsburg, is a popular choice. Tussey also offers lessons for beginners and experienced skiers.
Here’s a look at Tussey’s activities and hours:
For lift prices and additional information: www.tusseymountain.com or 800-733-2754.
Many local parks offer sledding, skating, ice fishing, snowmobiling and other winter activities.
• Slab Cabin Park, 316 Elmwood St., State College: Seasonal sledding slope, call 231-3071 for hours
• Black Moshannon State Park, 4216 Beaver Road, Philipsburg: Offers a variety of winter activities including cross-country skiing, snowmobiling (on Benner Run Road and designated trails after deer season), ice fishing and ice skating (when conditions allow), iceboating, camping and hunting. Visitwww.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/blackmoshannon
• Bald Eagle State Park, state Route 150, Howard: Offers a variety of winter activities including cross-country skiing, sledding, ice fishing and ice skating. Visit www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/baldeagle for information.
• Whipple Dam State Park, off Route 26, Huntingdon County in Rothrock State Forest: Offers a variety of winter activities including cross-country skiing, ice skating and ice fishing. For information visit www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/whippledam.