It’s hard to tell where you’ll hear the finest bluegrass at the Remington Ryde Bluegrass Festival this year. Two-time Grammy Award winner Rhonda Vincent suspects it might not be on the stage.
“They’ll be pickin’ under the shade tree and in the parking lot,” Vincent said. “Sometimes that’s the best pickin’ you’ll hear.”
Coming from Vincent, one of the most decorated bluegrass musicians in history (including seven International Bluegrass Music Association Female Vocalist of the Year wins), that’s pretty impressive.
But that’s what makes bluegrass what it is. And whether it’s on the stage, under a tree or around a campfire, there’ll be plenty of bluegrass at the eighth annual Remington Ryde Bluegrass Festival from July 10-13 at the Centre County Grange fairgrounds in Centre Hall.
Hosted by Pennsylvania-based bluegrass band Remington Ryde, the four-day festival features Vincent and her band The Rage, along with other acclaimed acts including Nothin’ Fancy, Little Roy & Lizzy, Ralph Stanley II and Hillbilly Gypsies. Local pickers Tussey Mountain Moonshiners will help wrap up the festival on Sunday, along with other local and regional bands.
Several of the performers will host free workshops throughout the weekend, so festival-goers should bring their banjos, mandolins, fiddles, guitars and basses. Of course, those also will come in handy for the impromptu jam sessions bound to sprout up throughout the fair grounds.
There also will be a kids stage, featuring younger musicians and sponsored in part by the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts.
“People hear the word ‘festival’ and they’re not sure what all it entails,” Remington Ryde vocalist and festival organizer Ryan Frankhouser said. “But a bluegrass festival is just a great family event. Bring grandma, bring the baby and have a wonderful time.”
• 1 and 8 p.m.: Joe Mullins and Radio Ramblers
• 2 and 7 p.m.: Little Roy and Lizzy Show
• 3 and 9 p.m.: Spinney Brothers
• 5 p.m.: Nitro Ride
July 11• 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.: Ernie Evans and Tyler Williams
• 11:45 a.m. and 5:15 p.m.: Mountain Therapy
• 12:30 and 6 p.m.: The Bluegrass Gentlemen
• 1:15 and 6:45 p.m.: Bluegrass Mountaineers
• 2 and 9 p.m.: Ralph Stanley II
• 2:45 and 8:15 p.m.: Jr Sisk & Ramblers Choice
• 7:30 p.m.: Remington Ryde
July 12• 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.: Jay Armsworthy and Eastern Tradition
• 7:30 p.m.: Remington Ryde
• 11:45 a.m. and 5:15 p.m.: Idletymes
• 12:30 and 6 p.m.: Nothin Fancy
• 1:15 and 6:45 p.m.: Goldwing Express
• 2 and 9 p.m.: Hillbilly Gypsies
• 2:45 and 8:15 p.m.: Rhonda Vincent & The Rage
July 13• 9 a.m.: Church Service with Billy Lee Cox
• 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.: Carroll County Ramblers
• 10:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m.: Jesse Alexander Band
• 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.: Tussey Mountain Moonshiners
• 12:15 p.m.: Remington Ryde
• 3:15 p.m.: Unusual Suspects