Free tax preparation help will be available to Centre County residents starting Feb 1 through the sponsorship of the County Commissioners of Centre County, the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program, and Penn State Cooperative Extension.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, an IRS program, offers free tax help to individuals and families with a household income of $52,000 and below and who are U.S. citizen. The IRS-certified volunteer preparers have completed many hours of training and have passed the IRS-certification exam. Additionally, the Penn State site offers educational resources and information on managing money.
VITA volunteers are not authorized to assist individuals with rental properties, farms, business with an inventory or overall loss for the tax year, or individuals claiming moving expenses.
Interested taxpayers should call to schedule an appointment. The locations, scheduled start dates and informational phone numbers are as follows:
• Church of the Good Shepherd, 402 Willowbank St., Bellefonte: 3-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays Feb. 1-April 12. Call 355-6816.
• Schlow Centre Region Library, 211 S. Allen St., State College: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays Feb. 3-April 11. Call 355-6816.
• Penns Valley Family Service Center, 337 E. Aaron Square, Aaronsburg: 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursdays Feb. 6-April 3. Call 349-5850.
• Holt Memorial Library, 17 N. Front St., Philipsburg: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays Feb. 11-April 8. Call 355-6816.
• 10 Ferguson Building, University Park: 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays Feb. 4-April 12. There will be no appointments from March 8-15, while Penn State is on spring break. Call 863-4147 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
• photo identification (for example, a driver’s license, state ID or school ID);
• Social Security cards and birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents;
• income documents, including W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Int, 1099-Div, 1099-Misc, etc.;
• a copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available;
• bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit/debit;
• paid property-tax receipts or signed rent certificate for rebate.
IRS agents will be available via video conference from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Willowbank Building, 420 Holmes St., Bellefonte. Payments will not be accepted and forms are not available at this location. Call 355-6816 for more information.