The Centre County Toys for Tots program is a partnership involving the Nittany Leathernecks Detachment 302; Centre County Office of Adult Services; local food pantries; and a number of human service agencies, faith-based organizations, police and fire departments, and volunteers. According to toysfortots.org, the foundation’s mission is to “provide a tangible sign of hope to economically disadvantaged children at Christmas.”
The Centre County food pantries are the primary distributors for the Toys for Tots program.
For any eligible families unfamiliar with the benefits of Toys for Tots or who are not registered with the local food pantry, there may be time to receive toys for your children or grandchildren at the unregistered site.
The unregistered site is for families not already registered for toys at a participating vendor site but who would like to receive toys. These families must fit the eligibility requirements listed below. The local unregistered site is the Hills Plaza, 2137 S. Atherton St., and will open on the following dates:
Never miss a local story.
• 1-7 p.m. Dec. 19
• 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 20
• 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 22
• 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 23
Food items will be be distributed along with the toys.
There are eligibility requirements for families attending the Toys for Tots unregistered site.
• Each household must have legal guardianship and/or custody agreements of the child as old as 18 residing in the home.
• The household income must be at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty rates.
• The person must show photo identification, which includes proof of address.
• Children must not have received toys from the family’s local food pantry, Salvation Army Angel Tree Program or the YMCA. This ensures that all children in the community who qualify will receive toys this holiday season. Food pantry and Angel Tree registration lists will be reviewed, and each household will receive as many as four wrapped toys per child.
There are additional eligibility requirements for grandparents:
• The grandparentmust reside in Centre County.
• The grandparent’s household must meet income eligibility requirements (see chart).
• The grandchildren must reside in Centre County.
As many as two wrapped toys per child will be offered to the grandparent. And if a grandparent lives in the household with the children, and the grandchildren and children are already receiving toys, the children will be ineligible to receive additional toys.
For more information, visit www.toysfortots.org, the Centre County government website at www.centrecountypa.gov, or contact the Office of Adult Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 355-6768.