The Centre Daily Times news department won 14 awards — including the much-coveted Sweepstakes Award — in the 2013 Professional Keystone Press Awards.
The Pennsylvania News Media Association, which administers the contest, released its award winners Thursday.
The Sweepstakes Award is given to the news organization with the most wins within its division. The Centre Daily Times was entered in Division III, for papers with daily print circulation between 20,000 and 39,999. Media outlets in the same division include the York Dispatch, Altoona Mirror, Williamsport Sun-Gazette and Citizens’ Voice, of Wilkes-Barre.
“Earning the 2013 Professional Keystone Press Sweepstakes Award is a tremendous accomplishment,” said Susan Leath, publisher of the Centre Daily Times. “Our newsroom’s dedication to quality journalism and commitment to our community was reflected in each category.
Never miss a local story.
“I’m extremely proud of the extraordinary efforts of the entire team.”
The Centre Daily Times won five first-place awards, five second-place awards and three honorable mentions, which are the third place equivalents in the contest. Honors are earned in a host of categories, from writing to design and photography to web publishing.
Six of the awards for the CDT included stories or commentary related to the Jerry Sandusky child-sex scandal. Coverage of the scandal in 2011 earned the CDT numerous state and national honors, which included the President’s Award, given by parent The McClatchy Co., for outstanding journalism.
“Our news team worked very hard covering the Sandusky story throughout 2012, and I’m happy for them that their efforts have been recognized,” said Chip Minemyer, executive editor. “The other especially gratifying aspects of this are that we had winners in all areas — writing, photography, page design, multimedia — and our digital efforts really stood out.”
Awards will be distributed at the 2013 Pennsylvania Press Conference on May 18 in Harrisburg. A full list of winners in all divisions can be found at panewsmedia.org.
Below is a breakdown of CDT awards:
• Staff, Spot News, Do De hotel fire coverage
• Staff, Niche Publication, PSU Pregame
• Staff, Online Breaking News, Paterno statue removal
• Christopher Weddle, Video Storytelling, Old Main vigil
• Chip Minemyer, Editorial Writing
• Staff, Series, Sandusky Scandal: Lessons Learned
• Chris Rosenblum, Feature Story
• Mike Dawson, News Beat reporting (Sandusky)
• Nabil Mark, News Photo, Do De fire
• David Kubarek, Front Page Design
• Guy Cipriano, Travis Johnson, Sports Event Coverage, “Grand Finale” Penn State football
• Staff, Online Special Project, Jerry Sandusky scandal
• David Kubarek, Page Design