Bellefonte’s vacancy board scheduled a date to meet, vote and possibly appoint a candidate to fill the vacant north ward seat on Borough Council.
The board consists of the council’s eight current members and David Provan, a registered elector of the borough whom the council appointed to lead the board in January. Provan previously served on the council.
Don Holderman, the borough’s assistant manager, said there will be a board hearing on the evening of Aug. 18, though no time has been set. He said the borough will advertise the hearing’s time, likely 6:30 or 7 p.m., when the board sets it.
The board must attempt to appoint a candidate to the seat, because the council did not come to a resolution Monday when four candidates — Brian Walker, Claudia Wilson, Mike Scott and Sheila Stever — did not receive a majority of votes necessary to be appointed to the vacant seat.
Never miss a local story.
“Sorry,” council President Frank Halderman said during the council meeting. “I wish we could have had some sort of resolve tonight, but apparently we don’t.”
Walker led all candidates with four votes, one shy of the majority needed to fill the vacancy. Council members Barry Spicer, Joseph Beigle, Karen Harvey and Halderman voted for Walker.
Stever was second in votes with support from Renee Brown, Randall Brachbill and Vice President Paul DeCusati.
Holderman said the board would likely have each candidate attend the hearing to make a pitch for support, much like they did before the council held their undecided vote.
“We’ll probably bring back all four candidates, because of (David Provan),” Holderman said. “He hasn’t heard from them yet, so we’ll want to do that again so he can hear from them.”
Shelley Houk, the director of research for the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, said the board has 15 days from the time the council failed to appoint a new council member. If the board cannot come to a resolution in an open meeting by Aug. 19, Provan must petition the Court of Common Pleas to fill the vacant seat.
The vacancy was created when Walt Schneider resigned June 30 due to a potential conflict of interest with the council. Schneider became the borough’s new building code official on July 1.
The candidate who fills the vacant seat will serve the remaining year and a half of Schneider’s term.