Elvin Lamey waived his preliminary hearing Wednesday on the charges of child sexual assault, but he still appeared in a conference before the bench with District Judge Carmine Prestia.
Lamey, 26, of Howard, is accused of raping two young relatives. He was charged last week with five felony counts each of rape of a child, statutory sexual assault by someone 11 or more years older than the victim, incest of a minor under 13 and corruption of minors, plus one count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child.
Public defender Deborah Lux asked for a modification of Lamey’s bail. He was incarcerated upon arrest, unable to meet the $300,000 set by District Judge Allen Sinclair. Lamey was already free on $50,000 unsecured bond for earlier charges of felony corruption of minors and misdemeanor indecent assault of a person under 16 and indecent assault of a person under 13.
Despite the seriousness of the charges, Lux argued for the modification based on Lamey’s good behavior while on bail in the previous case, which is still pending after he withdrew an August 2013 guilty plea in January. The case has “gone on for months and months,” she told Prestia, claiming that her client had made most court appearances for the case, despite repeated delays from the prosecution.
The Centre County District Attorney’s Office has asked for three continuances on the case since March, the most recent granted June 3 by Judge Jonathan Grine.
Assistant District Attorney Nathan Boob said the delays were due to the “more serious allegations” being investigated.
Lux said that although Lamey no longer has contact with his family, he lives in Howard with his employer, who was present in the courtroom, and that he had been in contact with a bail agency that was willing to work with him on his release. The employer was not identified.
Prestia, who declined to comment to the Centre Daily Times, agreed to the measure, converting the bail to $300,000 unsecured — no cash down — with a few conditions, including prohibiting Lamey from attending the Centre County Grange Encampment and Fair later this month. He was also banned from contact with anyone under 18.