Members of the board of The Second Mile said no final decision has been made on the future of the charity founded by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Sandusky was charged Nov. 5 with 40 counts of sexually abusing young boys over a 15-year period. The ensuing scandal — which includes allegations that some Penn State administrators were told of one instance of abuse and failed to report it to law enforcement — has so far cost Penn State President Graham Spanier and head football coach Joe Paterno their jobs.
It’s also led many to question whether the charity Sandusky founded in 1977 to help at-risk youth can survive.
The New York Times reported Friday afternoon that David Woodle, who is running the charity after the resignation earlier this week of CEO Jack Raykovitz, is seeking to transfer its programs to other nonprofit organizations.
“We’re working hard to figure out how the programs can survive this event,” Woodle told the newspaper.
“We aren’t protective of this organization that it survives at all costs.”
However, state Sen. Jake Corman, who serves on The Second Mile board, said Woodle is studying whether the organization should continue in its present form, shrink, or shut down and find other agencies to continue its services.
“My understanding as we left it is that Dave was going to lead his own internal review of the viability of the organization,” said Corman, R-Benner Township. “But a final decision on that option hasn’t been realized. ... I thought it was to be a few weeks.”
Later Friday evening, Woodle disputed the New York Times article, saying he told the newspaper the same thing he told other media, that the nonprofit was examining whether to continue as is, shrink, or fold. changed its online headline from “Charity Founded by Sandusky Plans to Fold” to “Charity Founded by Accused Ex-Coach May Fold.”