Penn State approved spending up to $60 million for settlements with men claiming they were abused by Jerry Sandusky, a trustee confirmed Thursday.
Ted Brown, who’s been on the board for a little more than two weeks, said he did not know how many claimants would be getting a portion of the $60 million. Brown’s confirmation came a day after The Legal Intelligencer and The Wall Street Journal reported the $60 million figure by citing anonymous sources.
Last week, Penn State’s board of trustees authorized settlement offers to some of the Sandusky abuse claimants, who’ve been negotiating through their civil lawyers with a university-hired mediation firm, Feinberg Rozen.
Penn State officials have repeatedly declined to say how much the offers totaled or the number of claimants. The only figure the university will release is the cumulative amount of the settlements, officials have said.
Never miss a local story.
News reports put the number of claimants in the mid-20s.
The university said the settlement agreements are expected to be finalized over the next few weeks.
One of those involved in the settlement negotiations is the young man known as Victim 5, who testified at Sandusky’s trial last summer, the young man’s attorney said last week after Penn State authorized the offers. Lawyer Tom Kline said the settlement offer was “one more positive step” toward a resolution.
But one of the victims in the case is suing Penn State in court.
The young man known as Victim 6 sued Penn State, The Second Mile charity and Sandusky in federal court. Penn State lost court battles to have the lawsuit stayed and thrown out.
The case is in the discovery phase, which the judge has set to finish by March 2014.
Sandusky was convicted last June on 45 counts of child sexual abuse and is serving a 30-year minimum sentence in southwestern Pennsylvania. He maintains his innocence and is appealing for a new trial to the state’s Superior Court.