Good Life

Recycling: Miscellaneous recycling rounds out spring cleaning

Amy Schirf
Amy Schirf

Spring is almost here and there’s no better time to address some of those hard-to-recycle items such as electronics, batteries, compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, fluorescent tubes, motor oil, antifreeze, medications and needles.


The Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority has an electronics recycling drop off location that is free and open to the public. We accept items such as desktop computers, monitors, laptops, computer peripherals, televisions, stereos, printers, DVRs, VCRs, cell phones, gaming stations and many other electronic devices.

The drop off location at 253 Transfer Road outside Pleasant Gap is open from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Follow Gate 1 toward the scale and tell the scale operator that you have electronic items for recycling. The operator will direct you to the recycling drop-off location. This is a free service.


Rechargeable nickel cadmium batteries (Ni-Cads) should be recycled. Drop-off locations for these batteries include Wal-Mart and the CCRRA. Lead acid batteries, (automotive, motorcycle, etc.) should be taken to any store that sells them. If you are purchasing a new lead acid battery, most places give a discount off the purchase of the new battery when you bring the old one in. Alkaline batteries can be thrown away with your regular trash or taken to Battery Outlet, 1230 E. College Ave.

CFL bulbs

Bring your unbroken CFL bulbs to the following locations for recycling during operating hours: CCRRA (Gate 3, administration building), State College Borough Building, Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Fluorescent tubes

Fluorescent tubes may be disposed of with regular refuse. Those who prefer to recycle fluorescent tubes can bring them to CCRRA’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event held each spring.

Used motor oil and antifreeze

There are many local service stations and garages that will take used motor oil as well as a few who will take used antifreeze. We have a list of these locations available at our office as well as posted on our website,

Medications and syringes

Although medications and prescription drugs cannot be recycled, they should be properly disposed of. According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy’s federal guidelines, “Take unused, unneeded or expired medications out of their original containers and throw them in the trash. Mix with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter (this ensures the drugs are not reused). Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet.”

In addition, The US Department of Justice offers a drug take-back days a few times during the year, and the Bellefonte Police Department collects old medication as well. Drop-off hours for the police department are 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Needles and syringes also can be thrown out with municipal waste, however, they should be placed in either a coffee can or some other sturdy container with a lid so they are not exposed to workers or the public during disposal.