Couch fire causes major damage to one unit in State College apartment building, prompts evacuation

No injuries were reported in a Waupelani Drive fire that likely caused major damage to one apartment, State College police Lt. Mark Argiro said.

A couch caught fire on the first floor of the Imperial Towers building on Sunday afternoon with flames and smoke rising up the walls, Argiro said. Though there was “heavy smoke,” he expects damage to the rest of the building to be minimal.

The building was evacuated, but investigators had not determined how the fire started. The fire was declared “under control” at about 2:30 p.m.

Resident Ethyle Nordberg said she left the building when she heard the alarm, but didn’t see or smell smoke until she got to the bottom floor. She has lived in the building for 19 years, and this is the first real fire she has experienced there, she said.

The matter is still under investigation.

Numerous fire and rescue units were dispatched to the scene.