State police shoot man after I-80 car chase

State police troopers shot and injured a man they thought was reaching for a gun after leading officers on an early-morning pursuit on Interstate 80, authorities say.

Two troopers opened fire on the man, who was shot at least once in the arm.

The man, whom police have not identified, is in stable condition at UPMC Altoona, and his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Investigators said the troopers who fired their weapons thought the man was reaching into his jacket for a gun.

No weapon was found on the man or in his vehicle.

But after his arrest, he allegedly told police that he wanted troopers to shoot and kill him, said David McGarvey, a state police spokesman in Hollidaysburg.

An attempted traffic stop early Thursday morning in Clearfield County led to the shooting, according to police.

The chase ended near a rest area on I-80 in Snow Shoe Township, about one mile west of Exit 147.

Police said the man was driving a vehicle that had been reported stolen two weeks ago in DuBois. The man fled when an officer attempted a traffic stop, having identified the vehicle as stolen.

Troopers deployed Stop Sticks, a tire-deflation device, to end the pursuit. The man avoided the first device, but his vehicle ran over another.

When the man exited the vehicle, he ignored troopers’ commands to show his hands and started to reach into his pocket, McGarvey said.

“He made a furtive movement, giving the impression he had a gun inside his jacket,” McGarvey said at a news conference at the rest area, a short distance from where the shooting took place.

McGarvey said the man ran after being shot and that a stun gun was used on him to end the pursuit and take the man into custody.

The man remains under guard at UPMC Altoona. Investigators said Thursday night that they were still determining what charges the man will face and where they will be filed.

Police have not released the names of the troopers involved in the shooting. They have been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of an internal investigation, which McGarvey said is standard procedure.