Man shot by troopers after chase now in prison

The man shot by state troopers Thursday after an early morning car chase on Interstate 80 has been released from the hospital and is now sitting in Centre County jail.

Gary Alan Randall, 53, who led troopers on a high-speed chase that ended in Snow Shoe Township, has been charged with fleeing from police and receiving stolen property, both felonies, and other lesser counts.

State police in Hollidaysburg arrested Randall after he was released from UPMC Altoona late Thursday.

He was taken to the Centre County Correctional Facility after failing to post $100,000 bail.

Randall, whose address was listed in court documents as a homeless shelter in Clearfield, was shot at least once in the arm by police.

Investigators said the troopers believed Randall was reaching for a gun inside his jacket when they opened fire. No weapon was found on the man or in his vehicle.

Randall allegedly told investigators he purposely reached into his jacket to make it look like he had a gun in the hope that he would be shot, according to a criminal complaint.

Police said in the charging documents that Randall was driving a white Dodge Avenger that he rented in September from Enterprise Rent-A-Car in DuBois.

The vehicle was reported stolen Oct. 30 after Randall failed to return it, police said.

A state police trooper identified the vehicle as stolen around 6:45 a.m. Thursday and attempted to pull Randall over, sparking a high-speed chase.

Police said Randall drove as fast as 130 mph during the pursuit, passing cars in an attempt to lose troopers. It ended only when police successfully employed tire-deflating devices.

“I know I put a lot of lives in danger,” Randall allegedly told police.

In addition to the felonies, Randall was charged with six counts of recklessly endangering another person and resisting arrest, all misdemeanors, and several summary traffic violations.

He was arraigned before District Judge Thomas Jordan.

Police have not released the names of the troopers involved in the shooting. They have been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of an internal investigation, which police officials said is standard procedure.