A fire badly damaged a Pleasant Gap home late Friday night, and its occupants and their pets evacuated safely.
According to the Pleasant Gap Fire Department, a fire began in the basement of a home on the 200 block of Whitman Avenue at 10:30 p.m. Firefighters began dousing the flames, but live electric wires halted the operation until the power company could disconnect them.
Crews then were able to knock down the fire. The residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross with emergency shelter and immediate needs, according to the fire department.
Crews remained at the scene until approximately 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.