A wooden cabin was spared from a wildfire in Potter Township on Monday afternoon, as firefighters knocked down flames that began spreading at about 3 p.m.
The cabin, at 200 Tussey Sink Road near Boalsburg, was about 20 feet from the fire.
No one was injured in the fire, and about four acres were consumed.
Residents who had homes near the site of the fire called 911. They stood by as firefighters from Boalsburg, Centre Hall and Pleasant Gap doused the flames.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“They were on the scene pretty quickly,” said Dawn Holsopple. She said that earthmoving equipment plowed much of the fire down before the first firetrucks arrived, confining the blaze to the stand of tall trees and brush that sat between the cabin and three other homes.
“It’s been really dry, and with the wind blowing and an ember, it’s going to take off,” said Kenny Strouse, a Centre Hall fire chief. “Not sure of the cause of this one yet, but typically it’s the homeowners burning something, and it gets away, and they don’t realize actually how dry it is and actually how far a spark will fly in the air. Then it doesn’t take much with the dry leaves to set something off.”
The blaze came after a week heavy with brush and wildfires in Centre County, most of them far from structures.
“This is the closest we’ve had to a residence,” Strouse said.
The fire was knocked down within a hour, but firefighters continued to drench the area with water to ensure it wouldn’t rekindle.