Dickinson law school benefactor Lewis Katz killed in plane crash

The Penn State campus is reflected in the door to the Lewis Katz Building at University Park. Katz, a Dickinson School of Law alumnus and benefactor and a co-owner of the Philadelphia Inquirer, was killed in a plane crash Saturday night.
The Penn State campus is reflected in the door to the Lewis Katz Building at University Park. Katz, a Dickinson School of Law alumnus and benefactor and a co-owner of the Philadelphia Inquirer, was killed in a plane crash Saturday night. CDT photo

Philadelphia Inquirer co-owner Lewis Katz, one of the biggest benefactors of the law school at Penn State, was killed along with six other people in a fiery plane crash Saturday in Massachusetts, just days after reaching a deal that many hoped would end months of infighting at the newspaper and help restore it to its former glory.

The 72-year-old businessman’s Gulfstream corporate jet ran off the end of a runway, plunged down an embankment and erupted in a fireball during a takeoff attempt Saturday night at Hanscom Field outside Boston, authorities said. There were no survivors.

Katz was returning from a gathering at the home of Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. Also killed was a next-door neighbor of Katz’s, Anne Leeds, a 74-year-old retired preschool teacher he had invited along, and Marcella Dalsey, the director of Katz’s son’s foundation.

The identities of the other victims weren’t immediately released. Nancy Phillips, Katz’s longtime partner and city editor at the Inquirer, was not aboard.

In 2007, Katz, a Dickinson School of Law alumnus, gave $15 million to the law school, which had merged with Penn State in 2000. The Lewis Katz Building on the University Park campus opened in 2008.

Former Penn State president Rodney Erickson said late Sunday that he knew Katz for more then 15 years and “was shocked and saddened” to hear of his death.

“He was a strong advocate for Penn State’s Dickinson School of Law and, especially, the Carlisle campus, where he earned his JD degree,” Erickson wrote in an email. “He was a very successful businessman and a generous benefactor to his alma maters and many other charitable causes.

“My heart goes out to his family in this time of sorrow.”

Frank Wiese, a senior multimedia and photography editor at the Inquirer, learned about the crash while driving home from a conference at The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel on Sunday.

“Everyone is shocked,” he told the Centre Daily Times in an email. “We in the newsroom are all very shaken. Lewis Katz was a very special person. Our thoughts are with the victims’ families and friends.”

Weise was in State College for the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association’s Pennsylvania Press Conference at The Penn Stater on Friday and Saturday as a workshop presenter and was the recipient of a Keystone Press Award.

A statement released by Penn State called Katz a “generous Penn State philanthropist.”

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Lewis Katz,” Jim Houck, interim dean of the law school, said in the statement. “Countless lives have been improved thanks to his good work. We are proud of not only all that he has accomplished in his life but of the spirit of generosity and caring that he shared with so many organizations.”

Dickinson is the oldest law school in Pennsylvania and the fifth oldest in the country.

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said Katz had invited him on the flight, but Rendell had another commitment. Rendell said Katz had been thrilled by the Inquirer deal and died at “maybe the high point of his life.”

Katz made his fortune investing in parking lots and the New York Yankees’ cable network. He once owned the NBA’s New Jersey Nets and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils and, in 2012, became a minority investor in the Inquirer.

On Tuesday, Katz and former cable magnate Harold H.F. “Gerry” Lenfest struck a deal to gain full control of the Inquirer, the Philadelphia Daily News and by buying out their fellow owners for $88 million — an agreement that ended a very public feud over the Inquirer’s business and journalism direction.

Lenfest said Sunday that the deal will be delayed but will still go through.

“We’ll lose his expertise, but the paper will continue because we both intended to put a new CEO in charge of the day-to-day operations,” Lenfest said. Katz’s son, Drew, will take his father’s seat on the board of directors, Lenfest said.

When bidding on the company, Katz and Lenfest vowed to fund in-depth journalism and retain the Inquirer’s Pulitzer-winning editor, Bill Marimow.

“It’s going to be a lot of hard work. We’re not kidding ourselves. It’s going to be an enormous undertaking,” Katz said then, noting that advertising and circulation revenues had fallen for years. “Hopefully, (the Inquirer) will get fatter.”

The fight over the city’s two major newspapers broke out last year when one of the co-owners, Democratic powerbroker George Norcross, moved to fire Marimow. Katz and Lenfest went to court to keep Marimow, then bought out Norcross and his allies.

The Inquirer has changed hands five times in eight years, and like many other newspapers, it has seen a downturn in business that has forced it to cut staff, close bureaus and scale back its ambitions.

Three previous owners, including Norcross, said in a statement that they were deeply saddened by Katz’s death.

“Lew’s long-standing commitment to the community and record of strong philanthropy across the region, particularly Camden where he was born and raised, will ensure that his legacy will live on,” they said.

The event at Goodwin’s home in Concord, Mass., was held to support an education initiative by Goodwin’s son. Afterward, Katz, Goodwin’s friend of nearly 20 years, joined the author and others at dinner, where they talked about their shared interests, including journalism, Goodwin said.

“The last thing he said to me upon leaving for the plane was that most of all, what we shared was our love and pride for our children,” she said in a statement.

Leeds’ husband, James Leeds Sr., town commissioner of Longport, N.J., said he received a text message from his wife four minutes before the crash saying they were about to take off.

Dalsey’s daughter, Chelsea Dalsey, said her mother was also on the plane, but declined to comment further. Marcella Dalsey was also president of KATZ Academy Charter school, which she founded with Lewis Katz, and is the former owner of an ice cream shop in Haddonfield, N.J., a suburb of Philadelphia.

The plane was carrying four passengers, two pilots and a cabin attendant, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. NTSB investigator Luke Schiada said a witness reported that the plane never got off the ground.