News

Firefighters called to State High after report of small electrical fire

About 150 people were evacuated from the gymnasium at the State College Area High School North Building at about 3 p.m. Friday after a report of a small fire.

According to a news release from the school district, a bleacher motor began sparking and smoking as a result of faulty wiring.

Principal Scott DeShong said maintenance workers were working on the bleachers when the wires caught fire.

Crews were able to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but Alpha Fire Company was called as a precaution, DeShong said.

“We have different kinds of drills that help kids know how to get out of the building properly,” DeShong said. “We only evacuated the gym.”

No one was injured, and school was dismissed at its regular time, DeShong said.

  Comments