A fire at a Clearfield house that killed a firefighter has been ruled accidental.
Jeff Buck, 18, a senior at Clearfield Area High School and a Lawrence Township firefighter, died after a porch collapsed, trapping him and two other firefighters as they fought the house fire March 3 at 714 Daisy St.
According to state police at Clearfield, the fire started when a mattress that was leaning against a wall fell over onto a propane heater that was in use, igniting the mattress and a box spring on an adjacent wall, according to a police report.
“Due to the enormous fuel load in the room, the fire spread throughout the entire first floor of the structure,” the release said. “There are no suspicious circumstances.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
An investigation continues into the “chain of events that led to the collapse of the front porch” and Buck’s death, according to police.