New details emerge in fatal College Township stabbing

State College police investigate a stabbing death at a townhome complex on Gerald Street on Monday, Oct. 26, 2015.
State College police investigate a stabbing death at a townhome complex on Gerald Street on Monday, Oct. 26, 2015. CDT photo

Olga Ingolnijov called police in tears at 12:42 p.m. Monday, telling them she had just received a phone call from her father, who said he had stabbed her mother.

“I have killed your mom, I have killed your mom, I have stabbed your mom,” Vladimir Podnebennyy told his daughter, according to court documents.

On Tuesday, the State College Police Department’s affidavit of probable cause told the story of Natalya Podnebennaya’s death, for which her husband is charged with murder.

When police arrived at the couple’s 400 Gerald St. home in College Township, they found Podnebennyy in the parking lot, waving them down from a group of cars, his cellphone in his hand.

Police said the phone became important when they realized Podnebennyy did not speak English.

A neighbor told the Centre Daily Times that Podnebennyy and his wife were from Kazakhstan.

On the phone, Ingolnijov translated for her father, telling police that he had stabbed her mother and believed she was dead.

Podnebennaya was found slumped in the driver’s seat of a silver Toyota Prius, unresponsive, with a kitchen knife in her chest.

She was pronounced dead at Mount Nittany Medical Center, the victim of multiple stab wounds to the chest, with defensive wounds on both hands, according to court documents.

The attack came after Podnebennaya had been staying in a women’s shelter for three weeks, afraid for her safety. Her husband had just returned to town, police said.

According to Ingolnijov, Podnebennaya had plans to tell her husband that he had to leave the residence when he returned from a recent trip to Florida.

Police interviewed Podnebennyy with the help of an interpreter. He confessed to lying to his wife, telling her he needed help jumpstarting his car, as a ruse to get her to talk to him after he tried 200 times to call her over the weekend.

While working on the car, he said, he tried to reconcile with her. When she told him she was starting a new life with someone else, police said he took a knife from the car and stabbed her.

Police said they asked if he regretted the attack. Podnebennyy said only that she shouldn’t have said what she said.

“A woman is far more likely to be killed by her spouse, an intimate acquaintance, or a family member than by a stranger. Natalya Podnebennaya was killed by her husband after leaving him to start a new life. We grieve for Natalya and for her family, friends and co-workers,” said Jody Althouse, of Centre County Women’s Resource Center, in a statement Tuesday.

Podnebennaya had been seeking help through the CCWRC as she attempted to leave her marriage.

“Leaving an abuser is a process and a challenging one at that. No one can tell a woman when to leave or how to leave, no one can guarantee her safety. However, there are many women who have successfully left their abuser and built a new life for themselves and their children. Their names, of course, are confidential and are not published or shared,” she said in the statement.

According to CCWRC, more than 1,000 domestic violence victims were helped through the organization last year.

Podnebennyy is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Nov. 4.

Related stories from Centre Daily Times