Local

Just Kids Resale ‘one-stop shop’ for children’s gear

Noah Holt, 21 months, hides among the boys clothes and his family shops during the Just Kids Resale event in Bellefonte on Friday, April 8, 2016.
Noah Holt, 21 months, hides among the boys clothes and his family shops during the Just Kids Resale event in Bellefonte on Friday, April 8, 2016. adrey@centredaily.com

For young parents, it can be daunting to afford all of the items a baby needs.

That’s where the Just Kids Resale comes in.

Members of the community wishing to get rid of their gently-used children’s and maternity items can register to sell their wares.

This results in what organizer Gena Henry calls a “one-stop shop for children’s shopping.”

Hundreds of goods — from dollhouses and toy cars to big-ticket items such as bicycles and strollers — were on display Friday, the second day of the sale.

“We have everything you need to rear a child,” Henry, of Bellefonte, said. This includes clothing from infant to maternity, books, toys, shoes and electronics.

“It’s the greatest thing,” she said. “I call it a win-win business. It’s a place where you can recycle your kids’ clothes and clothe the next generation at a cheap price.”

Henry said customers can get deals as much as 90 percent off retail price.

“It’s exciting to know people are getting great deals,” she said. “When the economy is so poor, people are able to come here and clothe their children.”

And Henry said this has been the biggest sale yet.

The biannual event recruits 140 sellers to register their wares. The sellers receive 70 percent of the profits from their sales; the other 30 percent covers costs of the event. Volunteers donate their time to help the sale run smoothly.

However, Henry said there’s an extra incentive to register as a seller or volunteer — they are allowed to shop the sale before it opens to the public. First-time parents and grandparents can also sign up to get priority access to the sale.

“Some fantastic deals walk out the door before the public can ever see them,” she said. “Our volunteers come from all over for this.”

At the end of the sale, all remaining merchandise is donated to charity. Half goes to the State College Pregnancy Resource Clinic and the rest goes to Goodwill.

Volunteers also collect monetary donations for charity at each event. Those who donate are entered to win prizes in a drawing.

For the past seven years, the donations were collected for ALS research.

“We’ve always donated money to ALS, that has always been our passion,” said Henry, whose mother died three years ago after being diagnosed with ALS. “But this year, we are supporting a local family in Pleasant Gap.”

Jill Linko, of Pleasant Gap, is a 27-year-old mother of two who was hospitalized during her latest pregnancy with congestive heart failure. Linko now requires a heart transplant. All money donated at the Just Kids Resale will go toward covering her increasing medical costs and helping the woman raise her two young daughters.

“It’s exciting to help them out,” Henry said. “We have already raised $560 as of (Thursday) night and expect to be able to give her almost $800.”

The last day of the sale is 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. All remaining merchandise will be half-price unless marked otherwise.

Cate Hansberry: 814-235-3933, @CateHans216

IF YOU GO

What: Just Kids Resale

When: 8 a.m.-noon Saturday

Where: Lambert Hall, 303 Forge Road, Bellefonte

Online: justkidsresale.com

  Comments