Firefighters responded to a brief house fire Thursday after a fallen tree brought some power lines down with it.
The call went out at about 2 p.m., alerting fire companies of downed power lines on a home causing smoke on the 100 block of Stauffer Road. Several companies responded when the call was upgraded to a dwelling fire.
Snow Shoe, Citizens and Undine fire companies were on the scene along with West Penn Power workers. Citizens Assistant Chief Chris Monsell said the fallen tree had caused the power lines to touch the roof of the house, creating smoke.
“When we heard it was a dwelling fire, we decided to call out some mutual aid,” Monsell said. “Fortunately, all the fire was contained to the roof line.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Centre Daily Times
Firefighters cut away the fallen tree while West Penn Power workers moved the lines away from the house.
Owner Chuck Colyer, 69, said he was reading a book when he heard what sounded like a natural gas explosion followed by sparks. He was able to quickly turn off the house’s fuse box in an attempt to prevent damage.
This isn’t the first time a tree has knocked down wires near his home, he said. A fallen tree brought a wire down over his wife’s car not too long ago.
Colyer said he planned on having the line of nearby trees removed.