Bellefonte

‘They got it in time’: Bellefonte house fire contained to upper floors, damage ‘not heavy,’ Undine chief says

Authorities believe an electrical malfunction sparked a blaze that damaged a home Monday off Upper Coleville Road.

No one was injured, but the home, at 113 Lee St., sustained fire damage to its upper floor and attic, said Bellefonte Fire Chief Tim Schreffler.

A resident discovered flames in the attic Monday afternoon and was able to get several pets out of the home before firefighters arrived.

“He smelled something and went up and looked in the attic, and there was a glow,” Schreffler said. “He opened up a hatch and saw a glow.”

Schreffler said an initial investigation revealed the fire started in the upper portion of the building. He said the cause appears to be electrical.

Schreffler said crews were able to contain the flames and damage was “not heavy.”

Vents on the sides of the attic helped minimize smoke in the house, Schreffler said.

“We were very fortunate to get to the scene of the fire as soon as we did,” he said. “The fire really started going across the attic space. They got it in time.”

The home is owned by Jack Lambert, of Bellefonte, who rented the property.

It was not immediately clear whether the tenant could move back into the home, but Schreffler said the man was offered assistance from the American Red Cross.

  Comments