A Lock Haven man accused of assaulting three women, including an 81-year-old, earlier this month faces more charges and higher bail after a court hearing.
Sean Riggle, 23, was in court for a preliminary hearing before District Judge Thomas Jordan on Wednesday. He is charged with aggravated assault, simple assault and harassment stemming from a Feb. 11 incident in Marion Township.
Troopers were called to a home late that night about a domestic dispute and found Riggle in the garage of the home, covered in blood, surrounded by broken glass and “extremely intoxicated,” police said. The three women who lived at the house said Riggle had attacked them, police said.
On Wednesday, Assistant District Attorney Nathan Boob asked Jordan to add counts of making terroristic threats, one count for each person he is accused of assaulting.
The women at the home each testified Wednesday, and one took the stand wearing an eye patch as a result of injuries sustained in the alleged incident. She said she requires surgery on the eye. She also has a broken nose and bruises, she said. Another woman said Riggle tried to choke her and had bruises on her neck. Both said Riggle threatened to kill them.
The 81-year-old testified that she tried to hit Riggle with her walker in defense of the others, and Riggle threw it from her and pushed her to the ground.
Boob, who described the incident as one of the “most vicious” domestic assaults he’s seen brought to court in a while, asked that bail be raised from $75,000 to $150,000 because, he said, Riggle presents a threat to the women and society.
Riggle’s attorney, Frederick Lingle, asked that one of the additional threat charges be dropped and that bail remain at $75,000. The original amount is sufficient because Riggle has no prior record and protective orders are now in place between Riggle and the women, Lingle said.
Jordan bound all of the charges over to the Centre County Court of Common Pleas. He heeded neither attorney’s recommendation and reset bail at $200,000.