Police note rash of attempts to flee from potential DUI arrest

Local police dealt with three incidents of fleeing from or resisting arrest in relation to DUIs within hours Friday night into Saturday morning.

The first occurred at about 8:40 p.m. Friday, when state police at Rockview tried to stop William DeHaas, 34, of Bellefonte, for a reported traffic violation on state Route 150 in Howard Township.

DeHaas reportedly fled in his vehicle at high speed before crashing at the intersection of Schencks Grove and Hunters Run roads, according to police. He and a passenger then ran from the vehicle, police said. Troopers found DeHaas at a nearby residence a short time after the crash and arrested him on suspicion of driving under the influence, police said.

DeHaas and the passenger, a 38-year-old Mill Hall woman, were not injured in the crash, police said.

A few hours later, at about 1:20 a.m. Saturday, Bellefonte police tried to pull over a vehicle suspected to be driven by a person under the influence traveling on West High Street, according to a news release from the department. The vehicle did not stop and continued until it got stuck on a snow-covered back road off Lower Coleville Road, police said.

The driver, Joseph Tressler, 40, of Coleville, then fled on foot but was taken into custody by Bellefonte and Spring Township officers after a short chase, police said. He faces charges of DUI, fleeing and eluding police and resisting arrest, according to court documents.

At about 2:15 a.m., State College police stopped a vehicle with no lights on near University Drive, a report said. While pulling over, police said, the vehicle nearly hit a road sign before coming to a stop. The driver, Daniel Corbett, 29, of Pleasant Gap, reportedly smelled of alcohol and performed poorly on field sobriety tests, police said.

He became angry, “did a cartwheel” and refused the final sobriety test, police said. Officers then tried to arrest Corbett and he reportedly resisted to the point that officers had to pin him to the ground to place him in handcuffs. Police said he continued to resist at Mount Nittany Medical Center, where he refused to provide a blood sample, and at the police station.

Corbett is charged with DUI, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and a summary traffic offense for driving without headlights, according to court documents.

Tressler and Corbett were placed in Centre County prison Saturday and released later that day, according to the prison website. Preliminary hearings are scheduled for March 25. Charges are pending against DeHaas, who is still in custody.