Crime

Prosecutors seek another trial delay in Christopher Lee child-sex case

Federal prosecutors are again asking a judge to postpone the trial of former Harris Township supervisor and Boal Mansion CEO Christopher Lee.

Earlier this month, U.S. Judge Matthew W. Brann pushed back jury selection for Lee’s trial from June 1 to July 6. The date was a middle ground between what Lee’s attorney and United States attorneys wanted. Prosecutors had asked for a postponement until a date between Aug. 17 and 31, while Lee’s attorney, Kyle Rude, opposed any continuance.

U.S. attorneys filed a motion Tuesday again seeking the postponement until August because a July trial would interfere with the summer schedule of the minor that Lee is accused of coercing and enticing. Another key witness, a family member of the minor and the first person the minor contacted after the alleged incident, will be out of the country until mid-July. All government witnesses would be available by the end of August, the motion states.

Rude said he and his client disagree with the postponements because Lee continues to be incarcerated pending trial. Brann denied a motion seeking Lee’s release in November. Another motion to secure his release is pending before the court.

Lee was indicted by a grand jury in October on enticement, transport of a minor with intent to engage in sexual activity, and child pornography charges. Additional charges of evidence tampering and attempting to produce child pornography were added in March.

Lee maintains his innocence, Rude said.

  Comments