The Marathoners for Medicine team running to raise money and awareness for Centre Volunteers in Medicine has raised nearly $40,000 for the clinic so far and is in the home stretch to meet its fundraising goal of $50,000.
The two dozen runners on the team each completed a marathon, half marathon, or ultramarathon to support CVIM. The team included members of the Nittany Valley Running Club and a contingent from
the Penn State Club Cross Country team.
The club team sent four runners to the selective Boston Marathon on April 20 (Thomas Stitt, Sam Lapp, Grant Bower, and Douglas Jordan) and a big group to the Pittsburgh Marathon on May 3. At Pittsburgh, Erich Leiden placed fifth in the men’s 20-24 division with a time of 2 hours, 48 minutes, 6 seconds. Timothy Appman took seventh in the same division, finishing in 2:52:37. Douglas Jordan, just weeks away from a 3:00:47 finish at Boston, ran the Pittsburgh Half Marathon and placed ninth in the men’s 20-24 division with a time of 1:22:11.
At the Pocono Mountains Run for the Red Marathon on May 17, Michael Zimmerman of State College placed second in the 30-34 age group with a time of 3 hours, 24 seconds.
To make a donation to Marathoners for Medicine, visit cvim.net now through June 30.
Penn State grad student Lauren Philbrook, who finished second in the Philadelphia Marathon and qualified for the Olympic Marathon Trials in November, finished sixteenth woman overall and fifth American at the Boston Marathon. Running in cold and wet conditions in Boston, Philbrook bested her Philadelphia finish by nearly a minute to finish in 2:41:17.
In addition to the Club Cross Country runners in the Pittsburgh Marathon, Eric Balaban of State College (2:36:23) placed third in the men’s 20-24 division and Michael Sutherland (2:54:05), also of State College, placed eighth.
The Beidelheimer Sidewinder 10K at Whipple Dam State Park on May 9 gave runners of all ages a chance to compete on equal footing with age- and gender-graded results and awards. Patrick
Singletary, 49, emerged victorious with a clock time of 38 minutes, 28 seconds and a 79 percent grade for his age. Paula Jech, 71, was the top graded woman at 73 percent, finishing in 1 hour, 3 minute, 29 seconds.
Michael Peters of State College won the Victory 5K on May 16 at Our Lady of Victory Catholic School in 19:38. Tricia Swicher, also of State College, was the first woman in 21:05.
Seth Senior won the Black Moshannon 10K on May 23 in 36:46. Megan Shah was the first woman in 44:05. In the 5K, Zachary Moody (17:59) led the men and Colleen Kelly (20:38) led the women.
Daniel Craighead was first at the Boalsburg Memorial Day 3.8-miler on May 25, finishing in 20:19. Kirsten Frazier won the women’s race in 24:43, followed closed by Lauren Losey (24:44) and Tyler Bailey (24:46).
• Run for our Youth 5K/10K Race, June 6, 8 a.m., Joshua House, 123 W. 18th St., Tyrone. Also includes a kids 50-yard race. For more information and registration, see www.joshuahouse.com.
• Treaster Kettle Test Your Mettle 10.6 Miler, June 7, 8:30 a.m., Colyer Lake. There is no registration fee. Part of the Tussey Mountainback’s Tussey Teaser series. For registration and more information on
the series, see tusseymountainback.com/tussey_teasers.html or email email@example.com.
• Millheim Pool Sprint Triathlon, June 27, 8 a.m., Millheim Pool. Also includes the Millheim Mini traithlon and a Splash and Dash for kids 7 to 14. For more information and registration, see millheimpool.com/Triathlon.html.
• Crack O’Dawn 5K Run/Walk & Pancake Breakfast, June 27, 8 a.m., Lions Community Hall, 130 S.Academy St., Boalsburg. Benefits VanDance. Online registration:CrackODawn2015
. For more information, contact Mike Casper at 814-238-5918 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Firecracker 4K, July 4, 9 a.m., in front of Bryce Jordan Center. Part of the Central PA 4th Fest. For more information and registration, see 4thfest.org.
• Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon, July 5, 7 a.m., Penn State Natatorium. For more information and registration, see www.ymcaofcentrecounty.org or contact Josh Cone at email@example.com or 237-7717.
• Sue Crowe Memorial 40th Annual Arts Festival 5K, 10K, and 10 Mile Races and Kids Races, July 12, 8:15 a.m., Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. For more information, see nvrun.com or contact Dana Gingerich at firstname.lastname@example.org.