Penn State

Penn State at Wisconsin: Ugh!

Apologies to all who have been wondering what happened to me.  People have been wondering why I didn't post my usual Sunday night blog.  Basically, I had decided to leave my computer home when we traveled to Wisconsin on Thanksgiving weekend. 

Instead I brought with me 67 papers to grade, and on that weekend and the next couple of days after we finally returned home, that took priority.  It is, after all, the end of the semester.  I have usually used Thanksgiving week to catch up on grading.

But with an away game at Ohio State the weekend before, and then another away game at Wisconsin, I didn't get as much done in-between as I had hoped.

Even as I write this, I should be grading.  But right now I'm watching Wisconsin play Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship game.  The score right now is 21-7 in favor of Wisconsin, at the beginning of the second quarter.  Wow.  Oops, it's now 21-14.

In any case, it was hard adjusting to this new schedule of traveling on Thanksgiving weekend.  We haven't done that in quite a while. 

The problem was that we left out of Harrisburg.  We spent Thanksgiving night in Harrisburg.  We flew to Madison on Friday at 8 a.m., and didn't return to Harrisburg until 9 p.m. on Sunday night.

So rather than drive home on Sunday, a two hour drive in the dark, we stayed another night in Harrisburg and didn't return home until Monday.  Straight to classes for me.  No computer, no time, no blog.  It's hell to get old.  Sorry!

Besides, who wanted to talk about that game?  I certainly didn't.  It was ugly.  There was really nothing to say.  Except "Ugh!".

Whenever you turn over the ball four times, and give up 24 points as a result of those turnovers, it's a long shot to win the game.  We had one lucky long pass for a touchdown as a result of a Wisconsin defensive breakdown and that was it.  We got whooped.  An old-fashioned beating.

We sat through four quarters in that relentless rain - not quite a mist, not quite a downpour - but just enough to get us good and wet.  Our rain gear did hold, but barely.

Thankfully it was at least reasonably warm, that is, in the low fifties.  Had it been in the low forties, it would have been even more miserable.

We stuck it out, sitting in the stands, but we questioned our sanity in doing so.  If you wish to look at the photos on my blog, even those were limited.  It was, after all, raining throughout the game.  I didn't want to ruin my electronics for the sake of a few scoreboard photos.

However, I did capture that last scoreboard, the 45-7 victory.  Wondering all the while why I bothered.

That's all I have to say about the game.  To read the rest about our Thanksgiving weekend in Madison and how the fans treated us, feel free to click here and read my more extensive blog post about it on my regular blog site.

P.S. I posted this on Sunday morning.  Congratulations to Wisconsin for an impressive win.