Penn State will honor its undefeated 1994 team and pay tribute to “community heroes” at the football home opener Sept. 6 against Akron at Beaver Stadium.
The university announced themes for the home schedule Thursday.
At halftime of the Akron game, the 1994 Big Ten and Rose Bowl championship team will be honored. Players from that 12-0 squad — which was led by All-Americans Kyle Brady, Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins, Bobby Engram and Jeff Hartings — will be recognized.
The Sept. 6 game also will celebrate Red, White and Blue Community Hero Day. First responders will be honored throughout the game, and can purchase tickets for the Akron game at a reduced rate by calling 1-800-NITTANY (weekdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.).
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The Akron game also is Scout Day, with all Boy Scout and Girl Scout organizations able to purchase tickets at a reduced rate.
Other themes announced Thursday:
• Massachusetts, Sept. 20 (kickoff TBA): Band Day and a celebration of 50 years of women’s athletics at Penn State.
• Northwestern, Sept. 27, noon: Homecoming and alumni band; 2014-15 king and queen will be announced during halftime.
• Ohio State, Oct. 25 (8 p.m.): White-out and Uplifting Athletes Day; fans encouraged to wear white for the primetime clash; at halftime, the Penn State Chapter of Uplifting Athletes will present a check to the Uplifting Athletes organization.
• Maryland, Nov. 1 (TBA): All-U Day and THON Day; announcing of logo for the 2015 dance marathon and the final total amount raised in the 2013-14 academic year.
• Temple, Nov. 15 (TBA): Military Appreciation Day and Parade of Champions; fans are encouraged to purchase tickets to be donated to soldiers and their families through the “Seats for Soldiers” program; also celebration of team and individual successes from 2013-14.
• Michigan State, Nov. 29 (TBA): Senior Day; seniors will be introduced for the final time at Beaver Stadium.
The season, the Nittany Lions’ first under coach James Franklin, begins Aug. 30 vs. Central Florida in the Croke Park Classic in Dublin, Ireland.