Penn State Soccer

Penn State women’s soccer: Demon Deacons oust Nittany Lions in NCAA second round

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. Wake Forest freshman Sarah Teegarden blasted a 30-yard shot past Penn State goalie Britt Eckerstrom in the 81st minute on Friday as the Demon Deacons ended the 24th-ranked Nittany Lions’ season 1-0 in the second round of the NCAA women’s soccer tournament at the University of Virginia’s Klockner Stadium.

The goal was the first of Teegarden’s short career, as she burst out of the midfield and fired the game-winner to the right post past the outstretched fingers of Eckerstrom. The Demon Deacons will face host Virginia at 5 p.m. on Sunday in Charlottesville. The fourth-seeded Nittany Lions’ season ended at 15-7-1.

“I’m so proud of the kids. They really executed the game plan to perfection,” Wake Forest coach Tony da Luz said. “It was a great goal from Sarah. No player deserves it more and does more of the quiet work behind the scenes than Sarah does. For her to get that winner is just incredible.”

“I’ve been practicing them a lot, so it’s due time that one went in,” Teegarden said. “I was just thinkiing to keep it low and hit it hard, and that’s what I did.”

With the win, the Deacons (12-6-2) improved to 3-0-0 all-time against the Nittany Lions, including a 2-0-0 in the national tournament. Wake Forest goalkeeper Aubrey Bledsoe recorded her eighth shutout of the season and the 33rd of her career in the win, which tied her for seventh all-time in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Bledsoe also moved into second-place all-time in NCAA Division I history in minutes played, as her 8,607 minutes is 246 shy of the record held by former Penn State standout Emily Olesksiuk, who played for the Nittany Lions from 1998 to 2001.

Penn State fell to 11-5-0 all-time in the NCAA second round with an overall mark of 37-18-2 in the national tournament. Wake Forest ousthot the Nittany Lions 14-10 for the match after Penn State held an 8-6 edge after the first half. The Deacons held the Nittany Lions’ active NCAA scoring leader, Maya Hayes, without a shot on the afternoon.