Weather suspends US Open first round

A fan leaves the course during the third rain delay.
A fan leaves the course during the third rain delay. The Associated Press

Day one at the U.S. Open is in the books — and only nine golfers finished their round.

Of the 156 players in the field, 78 teed off.

With three delays and less-than-ideal conditions, the soaked patrons at Oakmont Country Club were lucky to see that many golfers.

The first round of the 2016 U.S. Open was suspended late Thursday afternoon with Andrew Landry in the lead at 3-under par through 17 holes.

Landry, who missed six cuts and posted zero top-40 finishes in 11 PGA Tour events this season, started his round on the back-nine and shot a 2-under 33.

Despite bogeying the seventh and eighth holes, the 28-year-old birdied the second, third and fourth holes.

“It was tough,” Landry told media of the stop-and-go nature of the day. “Went to the locker room, stayed by myself, talked with my caddie a bit, and turned my phone off. ... It was good to just kind of be by myself and just take it all in.”

On his tail are Bubba Watson and Danny Lee, both at 2-under, and several players — Lee Westwood, Harry English, Kevin Streelman and Scottie Scheffler — at 1-under par.

Scheffler, who just wrapped up his sophomore year at Texas, is the early clubhouse leader, as Landry still has a putt or two left on the ninth green.

“I feel pretty good. It hasn’t really sunk in yet,” Scheffler said. “The experience is, I can’t even describe it right now.”

At the time play was suspended, eight players were even-par, including Zach Johnson, Shane Lowry, Russell Knox and 2014 U.S. Open champion Martin Kaymer.

A collection of the world’s best had especially erratic starts at one of the nation’s toughest courses.

Jordan Spieth is 1-over through 11, Rory McIlroy is 4-over through 13, 2016 Masters champion Danny Willett is 4-over through 12, and Rickie Fowler is 6-over through 12.

Fowler said despite ideal conditions in the morning — favorably soft greens after overnight rain — the delays destroyed any momentum the players gained.

The first delay lasted from 10:03 a.m. to 11:23 a.m., the second from 12:10 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., and after the horn blew a third time at 3:51 p.m., the first day was officially suspended at 4:35 p.m.

“The hard part, it’s tough to get into a rhythm,” Fowler said. “It was a bit of a long day.”

The first round will resume at 7:30 a.m. Friday.

John McGonigal: 814-231-4630, @jmcgonigal9