If you were at the State College Spikes game Sunday night hoping for some meeting and greeting with 1980s wild child Corey Feldman, you might have come away disappointed.
On Monday, the Spikes issued a formal apology to their fans on Twitter.
“While the nature of the appearance was not what we had anticipated for the evening, we would like to apologize to all fans who may have been offended by its content. We would also like to apologize to our fans for the appearance being so far below expectations,” the organization tweeted.
Feldman is a former child star with a resume that reads like the guiltiest pleasures of the decadent decade, from “Gremlins” and “The Goonies” in his younger days to his teamings with pal Corey Haim later in “The Lost Boys,” “License to Drive” and “Dream a Little Dream” as a full-on Tiger Beat mainstay later. He has worked steadily as an adult, including voice work and reteaming with Haim in the reality show “The Two Coreys” in 2007-2008.
According to Spikes general manager Scott Walker, the problems arose when Feldman didn’t want to do what he was brought in to do.
“We had a contract,” Walker said. That was supposed to include a lot of interaction with the fans, meeting and greeting and more.
“He simply did not want to do any of that,” Walker said, claiming Feldman was more interested in promoting his new music venture with a concert.
“We worked with him. We pulled it off,” Walker said. But still, the entertainment was not what was promised and not what was expected. That included Feldman’s companions and musical backup “angels,” who Walker described as “not exactly family friendly.”
“It’s not the type of entertainment we stand for or stand by,” Walker said.
According to a press release Monday, Feldman will be emceeing the Receipt of the Torch ceremony for the 2015 Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles on Friday.
“Feldman will be seen standing at the podium to receive the Olympic torch and has also been asked to do a very special performance with his band ‘Corey’s Angels.’... As far as his band, this marks only the second time the newly formed band will perform, their first performance being in June at the Bonnaroo Festival,” said the press release from Nati Celebrity Services.
That doesn’t take into account Sunday’s performance at Medlar Field.
Attempts to contact Feldman through his agent and publicist were unsuccessful.
Walker said the Spikes were hoping to follow up on last year’s successful retro night with Alfonso Ribeiro, who portrayed Carlton on “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”
“We went from the nicest guy in the world to something else,” Walker said.