Living Columns & Blogs

Answers to recycling FAQs

I got the idea for this month’s column by visiting the Frequently Asked Questions page on our website. I wanted to see which FAQs were clicked on the most. Do any of these questions make the top of your list?

Q: What are the operating hours of the Centre County Recycling & Refuse Authority?

A: The authority’s office hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. The office building is located through Gate 3, in Building A. Our friendly office staff is available to assist with questions that our residents and customers may have.

The Transfer Station is open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Saturday. The Transfer Station can be accessed by following the signs at Gate 1. Our Electronics Recycling drop-off location (also open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Saturday) is located next to the Transfer Station and should also be accessed through Gate 1. The recycling drop-off containers located outside of Gate 3 can be accessed 24/7.

The suthority’s operating hours may be limited on the following holidays: New Year’s Day; Memorial Day; Fourth of July; Labor Day; Thanksgiving; the first day of antlered deer season and Christmas. Please check our website, newsletter or Facebook page for possible closings as well as holiday recycling collection delays.

Q: Can I recycle my Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs)?

A: The Recycling & Refuse Authority has a free CFL recycling program in place. Just drop the bulbs off at our office located at 253 Transfer Road in College Township. We can only accept unbroken, compact bulbs (the ones that look like ice cream cones).

State College borough also accepts CFL bulbs from its residents. Just drop them off at the borough office, 243 S. Allen St., or at its service facility, 330 S. Osmond St.

If you choose to dispose of your old CFLs, you must seal them in two plastic bags before placing in the trash. CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury that may be released in the landfills and contribute to water and air pollution.

Q: Why don’t we recycle yogurt and margarine containers?

A: We do. You can recycle your miscellaneous plastic containers at any one of the drop-off locations listed below; acceptable plastics are listed on our website at Do not place miscellaneous plastics in your curbside bin or blue commercial recycling carts. Bring them to a drop-off location below:

▪ The Centre County Recycling & Refuse Authority, 253 Transfer Road, College Township.

▪ Between the Patton Township Fire Station (2598 Green Tech Drive) and ClearWater Conservancy.

▪ Burger King, 901 E. Bishop St., Bellefonte.

▪ Hamilton Square Shopping Center, 244 W. Hamilton Ave., State College.

▪ Snappy’s Convenience Store, 2892 Earlystown Road, Centre Hall.

▪ Rush Township Building, 150 Richard St., Philipsburg.

If you have a recycling question, send me an e-mail at I will answer you and maybe your question will be featured in a future column.

Thanks for recycling!

Amy Schirf is education coordinator for the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority.