Recycling tips. Find out three common recycling mistakes and 3 uncommonly recycled items.
Happy May! Enjoy my latest column addressing some of our Frequently Asked Questions. Let’s hope all of this rain makes for wonderful flower blooms!
Q: What are the operating hours of the Centre County Recycling & Refuse Authority?
A: The Authority’s office hours are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The office building is located through Gate 3, in Building A. Our friendly office staff is available to assist with questions that our residents and customers may have.
The Transfer Station is open 8 a.m.- 4p.m. Monday-Saturday. The Transfer Station can be accessed by following the signs at Gate 1. Our Electronics Recycling drop off location (also open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Saturday) is located next to the Transfer Station and should also be accessed through Gate 1. The recycling drop off containers located outside of Gate 3 can be accessed 24/7.
The Authority’s operating hours may be limited on the following holidays: New Year’s Day; Memorial Day; Fourth of July; Labor Day; Thanksgiving; the first day of deer season and Christmas. Please check our website, current newsletter or Facebook page for possible closings as well as holiday recycling collection delays.
Q: How do I properly dispose of needles/sharps?
A: You can help prevent injury, illness and pollution by following some simple steps when disposing of these wastes in your household trash.
1. Place all needles/sharps in a puncture-resistant, hard plastic or metal container. An empty detergent bottle with a screw-on cap or an empty coffee can will do.
2. Close the container with its original lid and secure with heavy duty tape.
3. Place the tightly sealed container in a paper bag and discard it with your household trash. Do not place it with your recyclables.
Q: Why don’t we recycle yogurt and margarine containers?
A: We do! You can recycle your miscellaneous plastic containers at any one of the drop-off locations listed below; acceptable plastics are listed on our website at www.centrecountyrecycles.org. Do not place miscellaneous plastics in your curbside bin or blue commercial recycling carts. Bring them to a drop off location below:
- The Centre County Recycling & Refuse Authority, 253 Transfer Road, College Township
- Between the Patton Township Fire Station (2598 Green Tech Drive) and ClearWater Conservancy
- CVS, 127 S. Porter St., Bellefonte (new location)
- Hamilton Square Shopping Center, 244 W. Hamilton Ave., State College
- Snappy’s Convenience Store, 2892 Earlystown Road, Centre Hall
- Rush Township Building, 150 Richard St., Philipsburg
If you have a recycling question, send me an e-mail at email@example.com. I will answer you and maybe your question will be featured in a future column.
Thanks for recycling!